HD-DVD: The good news, and the bad news

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Sami Kallio, Aug 18, 2006.

1. Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio Screenwriter

The good? Netflix collection is now at 3 pages for a total of 64 titles (counting the unreleased).

The bad is of course the last page is all full of horrible titles:

The Fast and the Furious (2001)
    U-571 (2000)
    2 Fast 2 Furious (2003)
    The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift (2006)

Lots of bad titles in general, why on earth do they do this?

2. Ed B

Ed B Stunt Coordinator

My guess is to appeal to the younger folk.

3. Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio Screenwriter

I don't know. How many teenagers are going to spend $500 for a player to watch FF?

I did end up watching U-571, unfortunately.

4. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

I am a "younger folk person" and these titles don't interest me. These movies are bargain bin material in my opinion.

Seth=L

5. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    I think that U-571 is a well done and fairly entertaining film. I certainly wouldn't lump it in with all of the FATF dreck you listed.

That being said, I'm also at a loss as to WHY both the HD-DVD and Blu-ray camps aren't pumping out releases of their flagship films to help these new high-def formats off to a good start. You'd have thought that the studios would have learned their lesson with SD DVD - after the leap in quality has been established, it's the TITLES that fuel the machine.

6. Xavier Roy-Bois

Excuse me Sami but I am 33 years old and these 4 titles caught my interest...

WHY ?

Because they are titles that will push your hometheater to the max !

Perdon me but it's not with titles like FLY OVER A COCOO FEST that people will by HD DVD or BLU-RAY.

Remember, they need good DEMO hd discs to sell the Hardware !

7. Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian Screenwriter

But tFatF has so many flashy cars and colors! It HAS to look good in HD.

[/sarcasm]

8. Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio Screenwriter

Plenty of those that do the job much better than the listed titles. Cuckoo's nest, when that comes to HD, it will be in my collection just like the SD version. For demo, Matrix is coming out and hopefully also the LOTR series. Training Day was excellent as well so it's not like you need TFAT for demo by any means.

I am hoping they will release the complete mini-series of Das Boot in HD as well (and yes, U-571 is garbage... [​IMG]).

9. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

Do the math!
    How many players (all, including notebooks) does HD DVD have in people's hands?
    10,000, 20,000, 30,000?
    If the SD DVD of BR sold 50,000 copies, it would be consider a complete & utter failure!
    So, 'everyone' wants this or that studio to release their BIGGEST titles and sell, what, 20,000 copies?
    Didn't the Incredibles sell like a million copies in it's first week in release?
    And top out at like 2M?
    Major studios deal with millions of units sold, not a few tens of thousands.
    Get 300,000 HD DVD players into homes and the floodgates will start to open.
    Till then, realize & be proud of, your a speck on the radar screen of home entertainment. ;-)

10. Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio Screenwriter

So the point is to sell more of the second rate movies that wouldn't otherwise sell to make a few extra buck those desperate enough to get their hands on every HD title out there since there are only a handful? Once the big releases hit the shelves these B-movies will not sell so better release them now. Yes, I know, but I still don't like it. [​IMG]

11. Brent M

Brent M Producer

If you want to complain about bad HD-DVD titles you probably should've listed films like Aeon Flux, Tomb Raider, Van Helsing, Firewall, 16 Blocks, Constantine..............should I go on? All of those movies are FAR worse than U-571 or The Fast and the Furious as far as I'm concerned.

12. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

If you want to feel any better...
    look at the BD titles!!! ;-)

13. Paul_Stachniak

Paul_Stachniak Screenwriter

Believe it or not people enjoy the Fast and the Furious movies. Even if they are stupid popcorn flicks, they're entertaining. And frankly, I can't wait to own each one.

14. John H Ross

John H Ross Screenwriter

15. PerryD

PerryD Supporting Actor

So there is still hope that Oliver Stone will apologize for the fiction known as JFK and Nixon?

Put me in the camp that says that Fast and the Furious and U-571 are brilliant near launch titles for HD-DVD. I love all kinds of movies, especially movies that test out the limits of my audio and video capabilities. I'll be the first in line to pick up movies like Daylight and Dante's Peak when Universal gets around to releasing them. Seriously.

16. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

It seems kind of silly to argue about which titles are best. They are just trying to appeal to every market, young and old. I think U-571 has it's good points and some bad ones and the same goes for 2F2F. HD-DVD has done a much better job than Blu-Ray, "HITCH", give me a break.

17. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

I liked "Hitch"! :-0
    Of coarse I didn't pay for it. Just watched it while crashing in a friend's mobile home.
    Yet I agree with you, hence my previous post;
    "If you want to feel any better...
    look at the BD titles!!! ;-)"

18. Roger Rollins

Roger Rollins Supporting Actor

If you think the HD-DVD title listing is bad, wait until you see what Blue Ray has in store. If you think Sony, Fox, or Disney are going to release more than a 'token' great film that is more that 3 years old, you have a big surprise coming.