What's new

HD-DVD Players? (1 Viewer)

mikey ra

Stunt Coordinator
Hello All!

I'm new to the HD-DVD party discussion, but I do have a question. Other than Toshiba, are there any other companies that will be releasing HD-DVD players in the near future (obviously not Sony - but what about LG, Panasonic, Pioneer)? I see that Samsung and Sony have/will be releasing Blu-Ray players before 2006 is history, what about HD-DVD?

Austan

Second Unit
Real Name
austan nguyen
RCA has a rebadged Toshiba HD-A1. There's news of upcoming Samsung and LG combo players. But if you think $1000 is high, just imagine the extra cost of a HD-DVD laser along side a Blu-Ray laser.

I beleive that Pioneer and Sony might be going Blu-Ray exclusive as Toshiba is going HD-DVD exclusive. (for now that is, things might change in the future)

Rob_HD

Stunt Coordinator
Why would one buy the BD player yet, when there's nothing but junk Mpeg2 releases with tons of artifacting to play on them?

Get the HD DVD player now and enjoy HD optical a year early, as it will be a long time before BD prices and quality will match it...

Samsung have also confirmed this week that they are working on a hybrid player which will play both formats.

http://www.hdtvoice.com/voice/showth...threadid=26183

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
If you feel the need, I’ll link to some reviews of Blu-Ray software from members (that I consider credible—you may not) that are a far cry from the emotive and pejorative statements in that comment.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Ha, ha. Emotions are running high immediately - and the 'facts' suffer.

There isn't a combo player yet, but why would the little bit of extra hardware cost so much? It isn't the price of an extra laser (if necessary) that most decisively will influence the price of the final product (as Lew would like to point out: licenses may ;) ).

But we simply have to wait and see.

And the 'junk mpeg2 with tons of artifacts' has not been signaled anywhere (apart from the mere fact that it's difficult to weigh an artifact on a scale :) ).

Cees

Austan

Second Unit
Real Name
austan nguyen
I got some numbers for manufacturing costs. It's from a Blog site, so you decide for yourself it these numbers are "fact" or "speculation".

"...estimating that it takes $674 worth of parts to build an HD-A1 -- bringing the total cost to well over $700 when you include labor, packaging, etc. -- which means that Toshiba is taking a $200 loss on each unit sold."

http://www.engadget.com/2006/06/23/t...1-sez-isuppli/

And as Cees pointed out, the numbers dont reflect any licensing fees.
(of course there is none for Toshiba, but Combo players will paying both ways)

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
The article mentions "the bill of material (BOM) for Toshiba's HD-A1 clearly exceeds its $500 U.S. retail price." BOM is usually the cost to the manufacturer. While this is normal for stuff like video game consoles, it's pretty unusual for consumer electronics. That's why the initial costs of stuff like LD, CD, and DVD were pretty high. The difference is that there were many partners to absorb the cost for those. HD DVD really only has 3 (Toshiba, Sanyo, and NEC), if the statements from Microsoft employees at AVS that they aren't subsidizing it are true.

Hayes Preston

Stunt Coordinator
So, back to our origionally scheduled thread.

Are there any hardware manufacturers that are going to produce a HD DVD only (Not HD/BD Combo) player?

Shawn Perron

Supporting Actor

Would you be rushing to make a player when the other one in the market is being sold for atleast a $200 loss. While it may be a good strategy to get players into homes right off the bat, it's guaranteed to drive away other manufacturers. Most companies actually want to make money.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
IMHO it would depend on who was making the player. If it was a AKAI, Sanyo or Apex why bother making one especially at this point. But a higher end Pioneer Elite, Marantz or Denon. I would spend more money on a HD-DVD player if one of those companies made one. Especially if they where hdmi 1.3 and outputed 1080p.

Austan

Second Unit
Real Name
austan nguyen
From what I've read, Pioneer has gone exclusively with Blu-Ray. IMO, the high end CE companies would most likely wait for a winner to emerge before they get on onto the HD media scene.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
That is basically what is happening even though some of us would like to see a better built player available. Companies like Denon and Meridian will not be making a player until there is a winner to this format war. I do wish since I have decided to buy a HD-DVD player I will only upgrade the player if Blu-ray fails and HD-DVD wins. I still am planning on buying a Sony Blu-ray player in October. I will however be keeping a close eye on what is going on with the HD formats and adjust my plans accordingly.

Austan

Second Unit
Real Name
austan nguyen
I'm jumping on the PS3 wagon. $500 for the HD-A1 player or for $100 more a PlayStation with a Blu-Ray player. There has been lots of complaints that the PS3 has outpriced the gamers, but it somehow has nicely landed on my HT lap.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H

And you shouldn't think of it that way since they would likely employ the same blue laser (as both HD-DVD and BD use a blue laser), but different focuses.

Kind of like refocusing a DVD's red laser to play CD's (when a dual pickup is not employed).

The real additional cost would be paying both the BD and HD-DVD camps for the rights I'd think.

EDIT: I see Cees beat me to it days ago. Forgive me. Gettling sleepy. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks