HD-DVD players

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Brandon Steck, Apr 1, 2004.

1. Brandon Steck

Brandon Steck Stunt Coordinator

Just a question about the upcoming HD-DVD/Blu-Ray players. All of the players coming out now with the HD upconversion work through the DVI output only. When true HD-DVD hits the market, is it going to be compatible with component video? I know the studios are worried about copyright, but what about those of us who dropped a bunch of money on a tv without DVI? Someone will break the encryption anyway, it's only a matter of time. Anyway, please let me know what any of you know.

Brandon

2. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

I see a recent Forbes article claims that the HD-DVD standard won't even be chosen until the end of 2004 and no HD-DVD pre-recorded titles will be available until 2006.

3. Greg Kolinski

Greg Kolinski Second Unit

So if its like all the other HD time estimates probobly around sometime in 2008[​IMG]

4. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

2008 sounds about right for when a significant number of HD-DVD titles will be available at a reasonable cost!

5. Richard Paul

Richard Paul Stunt Coordinator

Most likely any High Definition optical disc to come out will be able to downconvert over component video. It may be a mandatory part of the encryption standard or it may be an optional feature of the encryption that some movies will use and others won't. Either way I don't expect High Definition optical discs of Spiderman or Saving Private Ryan to allow high definition over component video. Many Hollywood executives view downcoversion of component video as just a digital macrovision and therefore see no problem doing it.

Though a horrible thing the problem is that the whole mess with HDMI/DVI-HDCP is that it does make sense. High Definition component video has no macrovision or any other copyright protection in it. Though recording high defintion component video is currently expensive it will be possible in 10 years to buy a video card that can do it for under $200. Also HDMI is a great connection interface with digital video and up to 8 channels of audio. The thing is that HDMI should have been released 7 years ago and not today! Though the Hollywood studios messed up for not making a secure interface 7 years ago it will be the consumers who bought displays without HDMI/DVI-HDCP that will pay for it.