HD-DVD players and software questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Carlos_E, Dec 15, 2001.

1. Carlos_E

Carlos_E Stunt Coordinator

Hello everyone.

2 questions:

1)Just wondering whether HD-DVD players and software will come the market anytime soon.

2)Some people say that progressive scan Dvd players offer an image that is almost of High Definition quality on large screen TV's. If this is so, do we need HD DVD players?

Thank you for any input.

Carlos

2. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

I've heard 5-10 years, but who knows. I think it will be a separate issue from HDTV broadcasts, but hopefully the standardization of HD television will increase demand for HD-DVD. The HD spec is 1080 lines of interlaced resolution, but there's also 720p which is 720 lines of progressive scan. I've read that 720p looks amazing.

My parents have a Mitsu RPTV that's HD-ready, and DVD's do look really good on it, but I've seen an HD feed before, and it's clearly a step up from even a quality progressive scan DVD.

It'll take a while, but I think it will be worth it to have a new standard (sigh) of higher quality video. Now, let's get some higher quality audio to go with that!! Can you imagine an HD-DVD that had 720p video and SACD multichannel???

3. Carlos_E

Carlos_E Stunt Coordinator

Richard.

What is SACD multichannel? How does it differ from Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS 5.1 or DTS 6.1 Discrete sound that is already available?

4. RichardH

Hi Carlos,
    Well, it's unlikely that anything like SACD multichannel could be adapted and put on a future HD-DVD standard, but I can wish, huh?
    Basically, SACD is a new audio format from Sony/Philips that uses pulse data modulation instead of pulse code modulation. In layman's terms, this yields a much more "analog" type sound than the current CD. It has a frequency response to 100kHz and a larger dynamic range than CD.
    The spec for SACD allows for a 2-channel section as well as a 6-channel section on one disc. Hybrid discs will also have a separate Redbook CD layer which can be played on all current CD players.
    So, 6 channels of uncompressed 100kHz audio would be the ultimate for home theater, no? Well, maybe 8 channels if you want to have room for DTS-ES discrete style formats. In the end, I think they'll end up with something like Meridian lossless packing or the like.
    http://www.superaudio-cd.com/

5. DennisL

DennisL Auditioning

Richard,

Thank you for an xlnt answer, he said uncloaking for a brief moment.

Return to lurk status.

Dennis

6. ling_w

ling_w Second Unit

A 1080i format would provide 225% the resolution of a 720p display, espicially given the fact that a 1080p format could be easily reassembled from a 1080i film source.

1080p demo of 1080 source in the HE expo looks amazing.

Anyway, the only reason HD DVD was ever in the discussion was because there was talk out there that they could squeeze 720p @ 240fps into the amount of disk space as 480p @ 30fps w/o using beyond DVD technology.

7. RichardH

Hmmm, I'd really like to see what 1080p looks like!!

8. Magpile

Magpile Auditioning

SACD/DSD is inheritly inferior because since its is always operating on its LSB, there is no way to add dither to the system w/o overloading it. And w/o dither, there will be various undesired artifact.

Dither during recording and playback allows information smaller than the LSB be recorded and extracted from the storage format.

So the way to go is DVD-A.

BTW, 1080p via the Faroujda DVP5000 looked awsome. Even at a distance, it looked much better than 480p deinterlaced and scaled by the same DVDP5000. I guess no matter how good the scaler, you just can't manufacture details out of thin air.