HD DVD Player Help

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by MichaelM, Feb 19, 2005.

1. MichaelM

MichaelM Agent

The DVD Player that I've been posting about the last couple days, the LG upconvert, is not working properly with the HDMI cable. So I was wondering if anyone might have some insight as to whether it's the cable or the TV. I returned the DVD player to Circuit City today and got a new and I'm still having the same problem. In HDMI mode, the picture is very choppy and the colors are off, then the screen goes black and it flickers. Last time I tried it the screen went totally green. I have it connected to a Sony HD 30" Widescreen tv via the HDMI port. It worked fine the first time I hooked it up. But only for about 20 minutes. Then it went all haywire. I'm not sure if it's the TV or the cable. It works fine when connected to the tv via s-video. and the video games I have connected to the TV via component are fine. I had a similar problem a couple years ago with a progressive scan DVD player. Switching out the cable fixed it. I just don't have another HDMI cable and all the local stores are out of them. Plus they cost 100.00. Any ideas?

Thanks.

2. EricRWem

EricRWem Screenwriter

Adrik
    First of all, you do not need to spend $100 to get a good HDMI cable. Not even close.

I'm dismayed by the number of people who are led to believe that Monster's outrageous prices are the only game in town. It's a real racket.

Try these companies:
    www.ramelectronics.net

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/

I do repeated business with these companies because I refuse to be ripped off. Great quality, great service, great everything.

I would say try a new cable. It's not the TV, most likely, because, as you say: It works perfectly outside of the HDMI connection. You can get a fine HDMI cable for about $20. $30 if you really want to splurge.

I'm assuming this is the LG/Zenith 418. Obviously, I would consider it a suspect over that nice Sony TV. There's a chance that the HDMI slot on either the DVD player or the TV has something suspect...but the only way to prove that would be is if you had another HDMI device you could test and plug into the TV real quick.

I'm betting the cable swap will fix it, just as it did for you a few years ago.

It's worth a shot. Don't go crazy over this thing. From what I've been reading, the 418 is establishing itself a little bit of a spotty track record. The cable is the first, easiest, most inexpensive thing to troublehsoot.

If that fails you, maybe consider exchanging that 418 for a comparably priced player (I'm assuming this is your budget?) like the Sony 975 (this would match well with your Sony TV.)

3. MichaelM

MichaelM Agent

Thanks Eric. Actually, I bought the cable from Ebay for about 30.00. I've sent the seller an email to see if I can exchange. But in the meantime I may just buy another one from the sources you listed. Thanks for that.

The new LG player that I got from Circuit City is having teh same issue as the first one I got. So I guess it's not the player, unless as you say, they are all a bit faulty. It's kind of a wonky machine all around though. The audio kept going out yesterday and/or losing sound in some speakers but not others. This one's going back too. This LG has been a disappointment. It is the 418, as you guessed.

I am thinking about getting the Sony you mentioned. The only place I've seen it is at Crutchfields and it's 299.00. I only paid 152.00 for the LG so that's double. I'll pay it to get what I want but do you happen to know of any other places that might have it cheaper?

Thanks again for your help. This stuff drives me crazy. I always expect everything to be perfect and it never is. The Pioneer DVD player I bought five years has been the best purchase I've ever made. It's nothing fancy, no progressive scan, but even with s-video hookup the picture is amazing and it's never given me trouble.All this new digital stuff seems a bit buggy.

4. EricRWem

EricRWem Screenwriter

Adrik
    That LG 418 is a spotty performer. It's predecesssor, the 318, is much more solid at that price level. DVI and component upscaling on the earliest firmwares for the 318. Later firmware has DVI upscaling only.

I know that www.onecall.com, www.jr.com, and www.vanns.com are all authorized dealers. They may have the Sony 975 cheaper than MSRP. Also check www.circuitcity.com and www.bestbuy.com.

Check Pricegrabber.com or Amazon if all else fails.

The flipside to it is: With Crutch's you're going to get amazing customer service and a 30 day no question asked return and exchange window.

5. MichaelM

MichaelM Agent

I just bought a Toshiba 5970 from Best Buy. I figured I'd try it and at the very least it would tell me if I had a problem with the TV, the cable (since it comes with an HDMI cable), or the machine. Well, so far, it's working beautifully. I'm using the same cable I had the LG hooked up with and no problems. The LG is all out of wack. And I've tried two of them. So regardless, the LG is going back. I'm going to try the Toshiba for a few days and see if I like it. It was only 149.00. If it doesn't perform well over the next few days I'll probably bring it back and just keep using my Pioneer no frills machine that has been perfect for 5 years. I'll keep everyone posted on my experience wtih the Toshiba.

6. EricRWem

EricRWem Screenwriter

Adrik
    Good luck! [​IMG]