HD-DVD Perfect for TV Shows/Anime?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DeathStar1, Jul 4, 2002.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

I was thinking about this a while back..
    Anime like Dragonball Z has 300 PLus episodes each series. DB had a little less, but still in the 200 range, I think. That being said, Funimation releases a paltry 3 episodes per disc on DVD, sometimes 4. Wether this is the deal with Toei, or their own choice to try and bilk fans out of money, who knows..
    But if HD-DVD comes along, couldn't they be able to fit 20 eps per DVD? Not only would that cut down on storage space, it would also provide a chance to include more extras with supplimental discs, and save alot of anime fans and TV show fans who buy Seasonal Sets, some money [​IMG]..
    IF that's going to happen, HD-DVD can't get tere quick enough for me [​IMG].

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Highly unlikely, you seem to forget that, especially with anime, that companies pay to license the show. It is in their best interest to derive the most revenue possible from it then, which means the maximum amount of volumes they think the market will bear

If you chage $100 for a season of a show, and give it to someone on 1 disc, they are going to cry foul. Size does matter in percieved value. If it comes on 1 disc people will say "Why am I paying $100? 1 disc is usually $20!"

and B-Most anime is sourced from analog (and interestingly enough, since Japan is NTSC) PAL masters. HD is not going to improve things, and people will be whining about why it's not in HD