HD-DVD on a regular TV

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Yumbo, May 1, 2006.

1. Yumbo

Yumbo Cinematographer

Does it work?
    Down rezzed?

Haven't read anything in particular.

Or is it ONLY for those with HD screens?

2. Will d s

Will d s Stunt Coordinator

No it will not work since your tv will not support the resolution.

3. Aaron_Brez

Aaron_Brez Supporting Actor

Not true. They downconvert.

4. Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi Producer

There is no point to it!

5. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Cinematographer

It actually *will* work on regular standard definition TV's via it's s-video and/or composite video outputs. And there *is* a slight benefit: less compression artifacts present in the transfer (no EE, "stairstepping", etc.), and slightly better black level.

But if all you have is a 4:3 aspect ratio standard definition display device, it's probably not worth the investment at this moment. Put the money in stepping up to a 16:9 ED or HD display device instead.

(By the way, most 16:9 Enhanced Definition displays can benefit greatly from HD-DVD transfers, even though the display is having to "downrez" the 1080i to 480p. This is mainly due to the fact that most ED plasma sets expect to be fed a 1080i source and therefore do a good job at deinterlacing/scaling that particular source. Most also do a commendable job of scaling 480i up to 480p. You can pick up 16:9 42" ED plasma displays now for around $1000.)

6. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

Actually, there might just be a point to it, but it's iffy. From what I understand of color sampling (which isn't much), only the luminance part of the picture (Y) is sampled at the "full" 720x480 frame size. The two chrominance channels (Pr, Pb) are sampled at half resolution.

source

I understand that this scheme is also used for HD-DVD. Depending on how the downscaling feature works, it's possible that the equivalent of 480i 4:4:4 video could be output, which should result in sharper, more vivid colors. But you may not be able to detect a difference.

7. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Chris, I'm closing your identical thread query in the hardware area. Do no post the same thing twice in multiple areas. Thanks.