What's new

HD-DVD: new a/v output on players? (1 Viewer)

Adam Kukucka

Auditioning
Hello,

I posted this a few days ago but it got lost so I'll try again. I am thinking about buying a rear-projection HDTV within the new few months. I've already decided which TV to buy (Sony KDS-R60XBR1) but I'm wondering if the advent of HD-DVD will also come with a new type of A/V otuput on the HD-DVD players. I've heard rumors about this because I guess HD-DVD will contain more strict copy protection features. Obviously I don't want to buy a TV now that won't be able to hook up to HD-DVD players.

Does anyone know if there will be a new A/V output/input, or will HD-DVD use HDMI?

Thanks!

Adam Kukucka

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Unless everything is turned upsode down within the next three months -- a possibility but not too muich of one, in my opinion -- HDMI is it. One problem: most HDMI-input displays now available don't support 1080p input; the specification allows but does not require it, and the manufacturers are cheaping out even though their new video formats are supposed to be capble of 1080p output.

Adam Kukucka

Auditioning
Yes, that Sony TV is capable of displaying 1080p BUT it's HDTV tuner is not capable of receiving a 1080p signal. I'm assuming that if I wanted to watch a broadcast in 1080p with that TV I'd have to purchase a new HDTV tuner, which does not bother me. But I'm assuming that this TV should be able to natively display a 1080p HD-DVD via HDMI.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks