What's new

HD-DVD......Need to upgrade (1 Viewer)

emeasterling

Auditioning
Real Name
Marshall
I need to upgrade my DVD player. I read on here a few times that the Oppo has a good player. How much could I expect to pay for one including the HDMI cable that I assume I would need? Gracias
htf_images_smilies_drum.gif

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Premium
Real Name
Doug
Just to clarify things for you in case you're operating under a mistaken assumption, the Oppo is NOT a HD-DVD player. It will only "upconvert" standard definition 480i DVD video to 720p/1080i. It will not play HD-DVD or Blu-ray discs:

http://www.oppodigital.com/opdv971h.html

Whether or not this will be of benefit to you depends on your display. Upconversion of standard def DVD to HD resolutions typically results in improvements because, by matching a HD display device's native resolution, it eliminates unneccesary additional processing by the display which usually results in fewer image artifacts. It's not a magic bullet however. Standard def DVD is standard def DVD. Upconversion will not make it look like HD-DVD or Blu-ray. You can't get any more resolution out of SD DVD than what's encoded in the video data.

emeasterling

Auditioning
Real Name
Marshall
Right on, I hear you. I was operating under a mistaken assumption. Now I would assume that the Oppo player would be much more economical than an HD-DVD player. Correct?

Yes, Yes it is. $199. Thanks for your help Mr. Pippel.
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Premium
Real Name
Doug
You're welcome. And yes the Oppo *is* more economical than a HD-DVD player, unless of course you want to watch HD-DVD. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mackaudio