What's new

HD-DVD leads by far in IPSOS Poll (1 Viewer)

AaronSCH

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron Schneiderman
Yes I think I posted that link in another thread somewhere here or at AVS Forum. I feel better about my decision every day. There's gonna be a lot of empty stockings come Christmas for those who wait... so get off that damn fence and support this format!

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
I am slowly working my way through all the issues assocated with the choice; in no small part helped by David Boulet and Pete TC.

It is becoming clearer and clearer that HD-DVD is the format of choice for a whole host of reasons, only some of which have to do with price. Though, comparing features for the price, HD still offers better value with features that in fact make it the better choice from a technical view as well.

Once again, I see the internet as a vehicle for information which corporate minds seem to ignore. If I had one piece of advice for the BD camp, it would be simply this: "Internet killed DIVX and Richard Sharpe's career and you need to learn the lessons of how the internet played a role to understand why BD will fail as a consumer elctronics item and how once again, the internet will provide people with the information to make the informed choice, not your corporate propoganda."

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
There is no doubt that HD-DVD is kicking Blus' ass down the street and around the corner. This is just more proof. Sony better get it's act together rather quickly if they want to survive.

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
No doubt Sony will survive. however, it is increasingly clear that BD will find its niche in Business applications and I find it personally interesting that MS is an HD backer.

PS2 did NOT mightily advance DVD in the home, and PS3 will to an even lesser extent advnace BD as a consumer choice.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It's much too early to declare which format will survive or become a niche market. The kickoff in this HT football game just happened so the end of the first quarter of this game (Christmas 2006) is still a way's off.

Crawdaddy

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I agree!

Have you seen the Disney announcements for Blu-Ray and
the manner in which they are enhancing their special features
and menus?

You can read about it HERE

I only own an HD-DVD player, and certainly a good part of me
hopes that the format I bought is the winner. However, you can't
deny the fact that Blu-Ray will be launching full-swing in a few
months with new players and titles that utilize the new format a
lot better than I have seen on HD-DVD thus far.

It's still way too early to predict a winner.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
What's the new format, the menu layouts and such?

If Blu-ray is as good is everyone says, but most have yet to actually see, is that good, I hope it's the winner. I do want the best for hi-def dvd it's just as of now Sony has yet to show us. Hopefully with the Panny and Sony machines we get a better look into Blu-ray.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Personally, I didn't see anything compelling or a 'lot better' about that information on The Digital Bits. Just a bunch of PR, IMHO. The only interaction I am interested in with regards to home video is the immersive experience of viewing the film in as transparent a manner as possible. All of this interactive nonsense is worthless to me personally. Of course, this also applies to the new features on HD DVD. ( And you damn kids quit playing in my yard. :) )

- Walter.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
All I know is that I saw the list of titles Disney is debuting for Blu-ray Disc, and I can honestly say that there isn't one in either wave that is the least bit interesting to me.

Additionally, I would probaby say that I tend to agree with Walter too regarding all this interactivity. First and foremost, I am interesting in watching the movie and reproducing the theater experience with the greatest picture and sound quality possible. Given that HD DVD currently has the superior codec, price, and, IMO, titles, it was an easy choice for me to adopt HD DVD first.

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
How can anyone possibly call either team a leader with only months behind the launch of both formats? This is a total guessing game. The number of players is very few on both formats, some of the main studios have not even released movies yet. Personally, I love many movies that do NOT come from Universal and Warner Brothers, and those studios are just announcing their Blu-Ray titles. There has been no release of the Playstation 3 yet which will be a huge plus for Blu-Ray. So HD DVD is ahead only because of the several months lead it had. In addition, Toshiba makes the only players and there aren't many other companies lined up. But this year, Sony, Pioneer, Samsung, and a host of others will be releasing players. This battle should be interesting.

Yes I am a blu-ray supporter, though I will accept and support the eventual winner, I will have too. But I will be purchasing the playstation 3, so it makes sense for me to not buy HD-DVD at this time. Besides, I am a classic movie fan, and so far, there isn't much exciting. Also, if anyone has really looking in depth into the future applications of both formats, there is absolutely no comparison. I have a very good friend who is nationally known as a video engineer, and have had many talks with him about both formats (it happens he is a video nut too). The differences in what the formats will be able to do for future applications (both commercial and for home video) are like night and day. Blu-ray is truly the format of the future. Whether it will win, I don't know.

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
I see many on this forum and AVS talk about BD = Beta. For me, I see the analogy being closer to BD = Laser Disk.

Only folks like us would get excited about enhanced special features and menus! I said from the beginnning that movies on Playstation was downright stupid, and well, that tough call wasnt so tough after all and the end is now near for that format. I simply dont get Sony's methodologies. They have picked loser after loser, and one big winner they had, they utterly dropped the ball on - the Sony Walkman (the story of how they let others muscle in and take them off that game is fascinating).

I predict the demise of BD as a consumer electronics item as much because of the history of Sony's track record as anything. And sorry Ron...I would suggest that Disney has done BD absolutley no favors here whatsoever with an horrendously mediocre initial offering of titles in a format war in which BD is already behind. From a military analogy, they just shot a 9mm in a battle where the other side has already fired a number of 105's.

Wow..havent seen this much excitement around here since...well....wonder what Richard Sharpe does for a living now :)

Bob Black

Stunt Coordinator

It's quotes like this that I just don't understand.

BD has dubuted with an over-priced player, a shoddy collection of titles, and very poor picture quality that has been unanimously panned by everyone from AVS forum members to techno-geek reviewers and hi-tech magazines. Sony continues to spin their press releases while clinging to outdated codecs (MPEG2) and being unable to provide anything but single-layered discs that are INFERIOR to HD-DVD!

Yet despite this overwhelming negative press, a handful of staunch BD supporters like yourself continue to begrudge yourselves the opportunity to own the best looking HD material on the market (HD-DVD) while patiently waiting for a videogame system that probably won't even achieve the mediocre performance of the Samsung (if the PS2 is any indication of Sony game system's movie playback performance).

Blu-Ray has been nothing short of a perpetual empty promise, typical of Sony and their track record. They promised higher capacity - up to 200GB - yet cannot even get a dual-layered, 50GB disc to work! New reports claim that the "protective layer" on BD contaminates the discs and hinders production yields, thus passing higher costs onto consumers. Have we seen a 50GB BD yet? There are reasons we haven't, and this is a very ominous sign for BD. Their players and media are too expensive to produce, and the quality is currently inferior to HD-DVD.

So the BD cheerleaders continue to wait...wait for the Samsung...wait for the PS3...wait for the Sony...wait for 50GB...wait for VC1 - a perpetual waiting game of excuses and what-ifs. And when all else fails, you return to the arguement, "Well, we have the studio support and more CE companies behind us!" So far I see one overpriced player and about a dozen 2nd rate titles (except the Terminators). Nothing to get real excited about.

Paul Anthony

Stunt Coordinator
I'm always looking forward to each new HD-DVD release, because the DVD image looks so damn cool! Although, I am considering purchasing the forthcoming Sony Blu-Ray player (which is going to be released on my Birthday :)), the current reviews on Blu-Ray is making me weary.

AaronSCH, love the green-eyed monster! :emoji_thumbsup:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Not to be rude, but this area of the forum isn't the appropriate area for this discussion from somebody that hasn't bought a HD DVD player. This area is reserved for HD DVD player owners or those members that have questions regarding the HD DVD format.

Crawdaddy

Pete T C

Second Unit

Speaking of Enhanced Special Features, word is the Dolby Digital TrueHD 5.1 soundtrack was dropped off of Warner's Training Day Blu-Ray disc to fit on BD-25. :)

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
OOPS I DO APOLOGIZE. I did not read the area of the forum this subject was under, which was for HD dvd owners. My apologies to everyone. Sometimes, I just look at the latest posts on the front page of the htf, see a subject and just make a post of agreement or disagreement. I did not see it was for HD dvd owners.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks