What's new

HD DVD Gets Microsoft HDi Boost... (1 Viewer)

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Mr. Collins is making the assumption that all HD adopters care about online interactivity.

I really don't care about it. My player is not permanently connected to the web, and never will be.

I understand the need to play to the format's strengths, but I don't think anyone is standing in the aisle at Best Buy thinking "Cool - I have to buy this! I can connect to the web during the movie!"

Also, why would you need to be web-enabled to see the PIP feature described above? Isn't HDi enough, or are they not planning to store the PIP scenes on the disc itself?

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, it's nice and all - but it isn't a make or break feature that will decide which format I jump on.

Robert George

Screenwriter
Web-based interactivity, like virtually every other feature of the format, is not considered a make-or-break feature by anyone when taken alone. What it is is yet one other differentiating factor between HD DVD and Blu-ray. Given enough of these individual features, you wind up with a format that is not so easy to ignore for content producers.

Having several unique features helps on the consumer side as different people will consider these features and one or another may appeal to them enough to help them make a purchase decision. Some people won't care about the web-based features and others will. Some won't care about advanced audio support, and some will. The bottom line is, as more people become more familiar with the differences between the formats, it is not inconceivable that some of these features will make enough of a difference to enough people to bring HD DVD to critical mass (the point when it can no longer be ignored by the studios not yet supporting it).

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Good point Robert. I may not always want to view the interactivity stuff or web features but the ones on 300 do sound rather cool. I also like the PiP commentary that was exclusive on the Mission Impossible 3 HD DVD. I watched that the whole way thru and found it fascinating. That feature alone is not available on the BD version.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

How long will there be a difference I wonder? What interactivity does HD DVD posses that BD Profile 1.1 won't be able to offer? This is a serious question, as I stated these features don't interest me much. The question is relevant to me because I am constantly reminded how very small the HDM market is, and I wonder how long this competitive advantage will last? If I am a studio and there is a format out there that promises the same interactivity eventually and more security, why would I jump ship given the small market for HDM currently?

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
This is just another step toward moving all disc based extras to a download or streaming model and then nickle and diming people for access to each special feature.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
This is not just toward HD DVD (also Blu-ray), but do we actually want these web based extras? Don´t get me wrong, I want usually all the extras & bells and whistles, but I´m not fully sure that do I want to start downloading stuff from the net. It´s fine with e.g. PS3 games, but extras are a bit different thing, IMO.

I may be old school, but keep all the extras on the disc and we´re probably just fine.. At least from the "average joe"-point of view, these web based extras doesn´t have effect on the format war. People hardly watch the current extras anyway..

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
As far as concern of the studios getting their feelers into our hardware, hasn't BD+ brought us the closer to that already?

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Web based content does not relpace special edition content on the disk, it augments it. As far as what effect they will have in a person decision making process on what format to buy, it will probably be minor, but it will be there.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

Well, right now I personally see all downside and virtually no upside. I guess I am becoming a crotchy old man at the tender age of 34. :)

Paul_Dunlop

Second Unit
^ this is kind of funny - some people are complaining that web access is not required... true enough, but we are living in a world with fridges that connect to grocery gateway and order food, blackberries that are 100% connected, even in the bathrooms and movie theaters, cell phones that you can watch movies on etc.

I just spent $80.00 getting a wireless bridge, so that I can connect my HDA2 full time to the internet - and I don't even watch the extras on my SD DVD"s - ever!

Everything gets connected to the Internet now - to say it's not necessary may be valid (NOT) but it will happen sooner rather than later

TV's used to be for 10-15 years - updates?? yup - when you bought a new one
Now my Panny plasma can get a firmware update via an SD card - this is awesome in my opinion

My HDA2 gets better and better with each firmware update - how about the original SD DVD players that cost $1500-2000 - guess how they got DTS upgrades? by purchasing a new player (still interlaced)
Then progressive scan? buy purchasing a new player - again

I don't think BD+ should be mentioned until is working (if it is already, I am unaware of it)

I just don't see how anyone can be against Internet enabled devices.....

wow - end of rant

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member

Well privacy and security are major concerns, so "exposing" yourself on the net leaves many people weary.

The only thing I have connected to the net is my PC. No appliances or anything else. I don't see the point. And this is coming from someone who's in the IT field. I'm of the mindset that I don't like technology for the sake of technology - it has to make a real improvement to my life for it to be useful.

As for firmware updates on players, they can easily provide the .bin on a website for me to download and burn to CD to update the players firmware. I shouldn't have to keep it connected to the net to get the update.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

^Whatever floats your boat, man. What can I say, give me the best picture and sound, and you can keep the rest. It isn't essential to my movie viewing experience, unless the studios decide to make it so and that is my fear.

I really don't care to share my favorite scenes with my friends in some silly MySpace manner, and I really don't have time to surf the Internet from the disc to buy a Harry Potter watch after I just saw the movie. :rolleyes:

BTW, I seem to be able to update my players just fine via a disc, and my refrigerator still keeps my food cold without being connected to the Internet. But maybe it would keep my wife from accumulating seven cartons of milk. :laugh:

Paul_Dunlop

Second Unit
^ I'm an IT guy as well, and I don't use all those things I mentioned, but I was making the point that most people love that stuff

I couldn't wait to get rid of my blackberry - I only got it for testing purposes anyway

I have a basic cell without a camera - but almost everyone has a camera phone now and sends pics via the web

I don't usually post 'excitable' posts like this, I am just surprised that people don't see the huge bragging rights that Internet connectivity brings

And that can make a difference to buyers and to sales people - "they are both good, but this one can connect to your home network and the Internet"

Just a thought

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
No, no, no, no, no!!!
You've got it ALL wrong!
Don't you read the posts here at HT Software Forums???
M$ is out to "kill" HD Disc.
Not help it!
If you can't trust rumour, innuendo, mis-interpretations, & conspiracy theories...
what can you "trust"?

M$/Tosh press releases???

;-)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks