HD-DVD Format War

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Jay Mitchosky, Aug 23, 2005.

1. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

According to Google News this is just a couple hours old. Talks to unify the HD-DVD format seem to have collapsed, although no big surprise here.

Full story here.

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Jay, I posted this in the ongoing thread in Software/Film and Documentary as well. FYI.

3. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

You would have thought with the runaway success of DVD (for the past couple of years DVD revenue has exceeded theatrical revenue for the studios) that they would have learned their lesson by now.

I am ready for the HD format, and so are quite a few of my "normal J6P non-HTF friends". A format war can only serve as a disservice to the consumer. [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

On the other hand, we may have something of an opportunity.

What if both formats die? The requirement for HDMI-HDCIP or whatever any of those horrid acronyms are is a killer. Already at work, my nice, new HD capable Apple Cinemascreen (the 24", not the 30") is 'unable' to display because it doesn't have the required copy protection in it.

Our friends at Toshiba & Co, Sony & Co, and the MPAA need to realize that all of their tortorus DRM schemes do absolutely nothing to the real pirates, and only piss off the people that they're trying to sell to.

Leo Kerr