HD DVD Drives

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Steve F M, Apr 15, 2006.

1. Steve F M

Steve F M Screenwriter

Anyone know when they plan to release a HD DVD/RW for our HTPC's. Seems the Stand alone units will be shipping anyday now!!!

2. Johnny G

Johnny G Supporting Actor

We must be on the same wavelength, those opening their new Toshiba boxes made me wonder when those of us that prefer the HTPC route will get the same thrill.

I guess Pioneer's BRD-101A and NEC's HR-1100A are the ones to look out for. Has anyone seen these units listed on the net for sale/pre-order yet?

3. Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens Supporting Actor

Christian Behrens
    Don't you need new graphics cards with HDMI to actually be able and allowed to watch HD-DVD on computers?

-Christian

4. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

5. Steve F M

Steve F M Screenwriter

Well I use my HDCP Compliant Projector(No Special Monitor Needed) and My Mother Board is already PCI-Express witha pretty good Video Card with DVI Out(DVI works fine for 1080i, HDMI will be required for 1080p). I was under the impression that as long as your Video Card could handle the resolution that it would not be a factor.

Stil my question is does anyone know when Blu Ray or HD DVD Drives will be available?

6. Steve F M

Steve F M Screenwriter

Well I broke down and bought a stand alone Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD Player to hold me over until they come out for these drives for our HTPC. Should be here next week.

They got a good deal going via AVSForum.

7. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

I'm waiting for more titles before I take the plunge.

8. Johnny G

Johnny G Supporting Actor

looks like you're in the same boat as me Steve, nobody knows the answer to our question.

9. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

Actually, I think having Vista will be worse than XP, but maybe I'm wrong...

Vista has tons of C.R.A.P. in it designed to make it a huge pain to get pure HD out of it.

10. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

On the other hand, since the Toshiba HD-DVD player appears to be a pretty generic stripped-down PC with a HD-DVD drive, and we can be pretty sure it isn't running VISTA, one wonders if somebody out there isn't — even now — stripping one and decompiling the device drivers… [not me! [​IMG] ]