hd dvd conponent video output?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by keithHe, Mar 10, 2006.

1. keithHe

keithHe Auditioning

I have an older modle hd tv that only has conponent video inputs. Will the hd dvd players only out put hd through the hdmi, or will the signal also work with the conponent video output?

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

That's open to debate. "Officially," HD DVD and Blu-ray Disc are to be connected via HDMI, with the studios calling the shots as to whether individual titles may be downrezed or not at component-video. In other words, you won't know until a given title is available. I think the studios will opt to downrez new releases at component-video outputs while letting their catalog titles output at full high-def at component-video.

3. Vader

Vader Supporting Actor

Derek
    That brings up an interesting question: So when does a new release become a "catalog" title? Will there be a window in which releases are downrezzed, then re-released w/out the ICT flag set after a given period of time?

I think this thread should propbably be merged with one of the existing discussions in the Hi-Def area...?

4. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Upconverting standard dvd players were all supposed to do so only via HDMI, yet there are several available that can upconvert over component with a software change or even a simple chicken dance on the remote control buttons. I have both a pre-software update Zenith DVB-318 and a new Samsung 850 which I did the remote hack on. Both do a decent job of upconverting to my set's native 1080i over component.

I also have a component-only HD capable set, a 4+ year old Sony KP57HW40 that I am very happy with. I'm not about to drop 3k or so on a new set just to get HDMI inputs until the new players have been out for a while and people have a chance to try various hacks to make them output HD scanrates over component. It would not surprise me one bit if within a year of the introduction of these HD formats we'll start seeing threads about which ones can output HD via component and how to make them do it.

5. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Downrezzing will be up to each individual studio and whether they use ICT.