What's new

HD-DVD Combo discontinued by Warner Home Video (1 Viewer)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Well, you can apparently do that with an HD-DVD, too, but the only discs it's shown up on are the Freedom anime episodes, which run $40 retail for a single twenty minute episode. That's probably more "videos are expensive in Japan" than replication costs.

Mike.B

Stunt Coordinator
Should the title of this thread maybe be revised? Perhaps add a question mark (?) to the end of it.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if what is going on here is reminiscent of Sony's denial of a PS3 price-drop (i.e. don't announce the decision until the last minute or risk Combo Format sales otherwise).

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
Warner should lead the way: No combos. If you want additional DVD-version, buy the damn DVD. ;)

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
If Warner dumps combos, that'd be a big win for Blu-Ray; the nuclear strike for HD DVD that few are discussing is releasing everything as a combo disc as a stealth measure to get the discs into homes. But if Warner won't do it, then Blu-Ray is safer.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I don't see how that can be the case, since it's clear that nobody is doing a combo-only release except for Bandai (at prices that just don't fly in the US) or plans to in the near future. If anything, this would shift a few sales from BD to HD DVD as people with both formats who previously would have purchased the BD to save $5 now purchase the HD DVD to get the IME, online features, and occasional TrueHD that the HD DVD version has and the BD doesn't.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Aw, crap, I can't believe I forgot that. I'll take some small solace in that the main point I'm making - Warner is likely not hurting HD-DVD at all by doing this - survives mostly unscathed.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I still don't have HD yet, but since the HD formats came out I haven't been buying any movies on regular DVD that are also available in HD. I have bought a few HD combo discs though and they play fine on my old player (I know that doesn't mean the HD sides will play properly though, we'll just have to wait and see when I finally get an HD player) I wasn't going to buy the new Harry Potter if the regular and HD releases were separate but I will be getting the combo disc.

The prices on these DO need to come down- I can see how it would be annoying to have to pay extra for the regular DVD version when you just want the HD. They should just include it as a 'bonus' and use it to get more HD titles into the hands of people who haven't bought a player yet. I'm planning to get a combo HD/Blu-Ray player when more of them are out, and if a movie I wanted was available on Blu-Ray at a lower price than the HD combo disc, that's the one I'd buy.

This trend of putting NO printing on side 2 of 2-sided discs has got to stop as well- all the combo discs look naked going into my player!

ReggieW

Screenwriter
I do believe that combos COULD be an asset IF the twin is developed and sold with little or no extra cost to the buyer. This would be the REAL benefit of a larger disc capacity. Why not do DL30/SL5 on one side?

Imagine if a title like The Transformers had been released like this with no SD-DVD only counterpart!

The only problem is that I don't think the pressing infrastructure would be in place to handle this kind of volume for some time.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
vd?

i'm not sure what tnr is but is this saying that invasion will not be sd d

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
No HD-DVD/SD Combo disc, Tony. There will be a SD only release too. There's nowhere near enough market for a HD only release on a title like the Invasion.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks