HD DVD / BLU-RAY Subtitle Options

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Sean*O, Apr 12, 2004.

1. Sean*O

Sean*O Second Unit

I don't know if this has been mentioned much around here, but I think it would be a good idea for both HD standards to adopt a movable subtitle set.

This would help owners of front or rear projection systems who use masking to block out the black bars on widescreen images.

Too often these days, the subtitles generated by DVD players will end up half in the image, and half in the black bar area, and if this area is masked, you can't read the dialog.

There should be a subtitle standard implemented in the future that allows for moving the subtitles so that they are completely within the live area of the image. This could be set up within the player to match anyones HT setup, and the aspect ratio of the material could be flagged for the player to read.

There could also be a standardized font library with selectable colors and outlines. This would allow for some variety or style to the subs. It could also be used to achieve subtitles which look more identical to the 'burned in' subs seen in many movie theater presentations on film.

Thoughts?

2. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott
    Sounds like a good idea to me. Are the positions of subtitles currently determined by the disk or the player?

3. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Sean,

Check out the petition for HD-DVD in my sig. We're right there with ya:

-dave

4. Sean*O

Sean*O Second Unit

Excellent. Glad to see that I am not the only one who feels a need for something like this. I'd say your text just about covers it, David.

Paul:

I am not exactly sure, but I believe that it is set on the DVD, as the subs don't seem to vary much from player to player.

Hopefully, someone with more knowledge on this subject will post a proper answer to your question.

5. Joe Schwartz

Joe Schwartz Second Unit

Current DVD subtitles are simply bitmap images stored on the disk. Colors, fonts, and positioning of subtitles are completely determined by the disk.

6. Sean*O

Sean*O Second Unit

I just wish they would set them up to play in the image area every time.