What's new

HD-DVD / Blu-ray merge: Not going to happen (1 Viewer)

George Caronan

Stunt Coordinator
It seems to me that the article emphasizes that both camps cannot merge to come out with ONE High Definition format. As opposed to having a universal player being built to handle both, it remains to be seen. I would not be surprised if that indeed happens. If I were to bet, Denon would be one manufacturer that will roll out such a player. That would be a tremendous factor for all consumers.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
The title of the thread should read this.

"HD-DVD / Blu-ray merge: Not going to happen"

I'll have a mod fix the thread.

Rob_Walton

Second Unit
It's the licensing terms that will probably stop LG, just as it has stopped Samsung, and been reported to have disuaded Meridian and Arcam.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Exactly, if they cannot agree on one format I highly doubt they agree to both licence someone else to produce a combo player.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
That being true, for me, I'll be on the sidelines reading about how beautiful a movie is from Disney or LionsGate as oppose to watching a different one on a cheaper HD-DVD player. My guess it that down the road that 499 number from HD-DVD will probably come down to half (especially if you get those less familiar name brands like Daewoo or Oppo producing players) hence easier to purchase.

John Milton

Second Unit
Yeah this info was already posted elsewhere and discussed indepth at the other site. No surprise here. It's a dual to the death now.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Even if LG was to come out with a dual format HD player I am sure that I would not be interested. IMHO LG is a horible company and I have no desire to have anything LG makes in my home theater or anywhere in my home. I would rather spend my money on a Denon, Pioneer Elite, Sony (and i am not a big Sony guy ether), or Marantz HD-DVD or Blu-ray dual format player. I actually would rather have a single format HD player instead of any LG dual format HD player.

Travis Hedger

Supporting Actor
Yeah, how dare LG try to bring to market a player that would eliminate the need for 2 seperate units and actually delivering a product that some in the public desire, even if the price is right and the build quality is high. Let's go ahead and bash a company for a product that is in development, and not even give the time of day to something not even available! WOOOO.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Please quote where reading that we will not see uni players.
Thanks.

If its;
"Blur-ray and HD DVD formats will never merge"
("blur"-ray cracks me up!!!)
He is talking about the "formats" not merging. As in; one format.
Not mega-multi's.
And even if he is saying no universal players, he is speaking for one (abet, the biggest) company. Not BD or the industry.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I have no problem with LG building a dual format player actually. I just would never buy a LG product. IMHO LG is just the old Goldstar brand with a new hip name. Am personally not impressed with anything LG has done. I feel there stuff is highly over rated.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Didn't know. I was under the impression and thought that I had heard that LG was Goldstar with a new name.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
By funny, I hope you didn't take it the wrong way. I gave examples to show how companies reinvent themselves. LG is "new" in that they were going to go with Zenith, which they own. Just recently, last three years or less, backed off Zenith and the old Goldstar, which did not have a great rep in the states, became LG. So much cooler! ;-)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron

Ed, as you can see by reading that comment it's just speculation on my part. As I said "reading that leads me to believe".

I cannot see both companies giving up their licencing to one company to develop a universal player if they cannot even come together to develop one format. Again, just my speculation, nothing more. I hope I am wrong though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks