What's new

HD DVD: Atonement (1 Viewer)

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
Hi,

Just finished watching this.

A very bright picture, with wonderful colours and detail.
Great sound, and interesting sound design/score. Just listen to the Dunkirk chorus.
Another fantastic VISUAL shot was the shadow into light in the library - amazing.

James McAvoy continues to build his impressive resume.
Keira is looking skinnier than ever.
Little Saoirse is making a name for herself.
I'm quite partial to Romola, who I believe centres the movie.

The subtitles were unusual with a black background. Was it like that theatrically? Made it easier to read, and actually less intrusive (so to speak).
The accents were quite spot-on.

Sound was good, with effective bass.

The story was quite unusual, and may require repeat viewings to appreciate more. A lot of innuendo (NVC).

As a last Universal title - recommended!

John H Ross

Screenwriter

Oomph! The theatrical subtitles (in the UK at least) were lovely. Alas they were replaced by craptastic player-generated ones here in R2 DVD land. It sounds like they've been buggered up in R1 too - which at least saves me a double dip I guess (assuming the R1 DVD is the same as this R1 HD-DVD)

Aragorn the Elfstone

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
That's how the subtitles looked on the theatrical print I saw. Thought that looked a little odd, but still better than player generated ones IMO.

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Just got around to seeing this one. Good movie...wouldn't say it was great. I'm really not sure what the big deal is about the ending. I read comments about what a shock the ending was and it was "out of left field". I didn't think so at all. It seemed to me like a perfect ending to the story and one I would expect from a movie like this.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i didnt think the ending was off from the tone of this very sad movie.

who said it was a shock and out of left field?

also while i think this was GREAT movie i don't think i would ever want to watch it again.
too depressing.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Some friends who go to the movies more often than any people I've ever known, absolutely hated it, but for me it was probably the one film from last year I appreciated the most . My copy just came in a few days ago and I'm very much looking forward to sitting down with it at some point soon and seeing how it plays in light of...
I briefly checked the transfer and it looked lovely- better than I can recall it looking in the theater, while at the same time not looking un-film-like.
It was a disappointment to see Universal abandon the format so abruptly, but I'm very thankful they got this one out before the lights went dark.

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason

There were a couple of "professional" HD DVD reviews who noted that the ending was a shock to them.
In addition, a thread over at AVS discussing the movie had many posters state they thought the ending was out of left field and used many similar analogies.
I personally thought it didn't surprise me in the least...maybe because I was expecting something huge after reading these reviews? (note: I didn't know what the "shock" was; just that there was one)
I wouldn't say the ending was a letdown. I thought the ending was perfect for the type of movie that it was.
I do have to say this - what a score. Best movie score I've heard in some time.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
The ending is what elevated this for me from merely good to honestly great. And that is because I don't see it as a gimmicky 'twist' thrown in for an easy effect but rather something that is supported thematically throughout the film. what I especially liked, besides the finely crafted and immersive period detail, is that the film is about storytelling- both from the standpoint of the needs of a particular audience (whether its the police, family, a dying soldier, or us the viewer) to the effects on the storyteller. It seems that truth gets you into trouble while fiction atones. Cynical but fascinating to me...and sadly I see a lot of truth to it. Especially in a media drenched culture.
I also agree about the score and was very happy to see it win the AA.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks