HD-DVD and the language the studios understand

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by AaronSCH, Jul 16, 2006.

1. AaronSCH

AaronSCH Second Unit

I don't know about the rest of you HD-DVD owners, but nearly all my future purchases will be reserved for new HD-DVD releases. There are a few instances where a title is so obscure that I think it will be a safe bet to buy it on a standard DVD format. Dark Sky Films is releasing some old Amicus Studios horror titles that I have been dying to get my hands on. Otherwise its HD-DVD all the way for me. I have never really been big on renting, however, I am willing to change my habits to flex the only muscle I have as a consumer. I am leaning towards boycotting the purchase of software titles from Sony/Columbia/MGM, Disney and Fox until they support HD-DVD and I encourage all HD-DVD owners to do the same. Deny them profit by renting the titles rather than purchasing them. Believe me, the bottom line matters more than Sony's arm-twisting. I will rent from those studios and funnel my funds into my high definition purchases from Warner, Paramount and Universal. I think the new crop of releases that have been announced will keep my wallet plenty busy anyway.

2. Pete T C

Pete T C Second Unit

I agree. Buying standard DVDs or Blu-Ray discs simply prolongs the format war. In the case of buying standard DVDs, you are giving the message that studios can drag out the war and sell you an inferior product that you will keep buying. In the case of buying the competing Blu-Ray format, you are giving the message that two formats is acceptable to you - which will ultimately result in a stalemate/both formats failing a la DVD-A/SACD.

If you are an HD-DVD fan, I'd encourage to buy as little SD-DVDs as possible and rent them when you'd normally buy them. Also, one may be tempted to buy into Blu-Ray once cheaper players are available to get a hold of some Blu-Ray exclusive studio titles; again, though, your best bet would be to rent the SD-DVD as buying BD hardware/software prolongs the format war and increases the chance of both formats failing.

In short, I'd believe the wisest path to get all studios to support HD-DVD is
    1) Try to buy HD-DVD exclusively
    2) Rent SD-DVD to fill the gaps when necessary
    3) Ignore Blu-Ray, rent the SD-DVD at best when tempted by a BD exclusive studio
    4) Of course, demo HD-DVD to friends/family and spread the merits of HD-DVD both on the net and in person. Word of mouth sales leads to more cash potential for the studios - which in turn leads to increased pressure for a studio to support the format.

3. Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff Cinematographer

Not wanting to get too off topic, but is DOCTOR TERROR'S HOUSE OF HORRORS included in these releases, Aaron?

4. TedD

TedD Supporting Actor

That's my plan as well. I have reduced my SD DVD purchses from 5-6 per week to maybe 1 per week. Those studios that are holding out for the other format (BD) won't be seeing any of my money any time soon. If BD doesn't price perform and quality perform at the HD DVD level, they won't ever see any of my money until they start releasing on HD DVD.

Ted

5. Brad HP

Brad HP Agent

I am doing the same. I find that within 2 weeks of release I can find a used copy of just about any SD DVD movie at the local shops. I make sure I pick up all Sony/Columbia, Fox, Lionsgate, Disney titles that I plan to buy in SD DVD in this manner. I buy all HD DVD titles new.

Newbury Comics is having a 20% off all used DVD title sale through 7/18/06. Yesterday I picked up the Family Stone (Fox) for $7.99 and the Dying Gaul (Sony) for $11.19. I also picked up Failure to Launch (Paramount) for $9.59. I would have bought Failure to Launch in HD but Paramount only recently announced back catalog support (no current releases scheduled yet).

I believe HD DVD will have full support by the end of 2007 if things continue to go as they are right now. I will continue to vote with my wallet and will not allow any of these Corporations to extort my patronage by holding back their content. It will all come at some point and I'm not missing out on anything in the interim. Especially since current BD titles from Sony are only marginally more impressive than their SD DVD releases and I own most of them already.

6. AaronSCH

AaronSCH Second Unit

Larry, unfortunately that is not one of the titles Dark Sky Films is releasing. I am not even sure they hold the rights. However, if you have picked up their recent release of the Anthony Hopkins classic "Magic," you will know that that company is committed to quality releases. The Amicus titles coming July 25th include "Asylum," "And Now The Screaming Starts," and "The Beast Must Die." All feature one of my all time favorite actors and horror icons, Peter Cushing. They are also prepping Dan Curtis' classic "Trilogy of Terror," featuring Karen Black for release later this summer.

7. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Cinematographer

Are you people serious about this? Are you telling me that you're asking us to pass on the new two-disc Lowry-restored "Ultimate Bond" releases due to the fact that they're only going to be released to SD-DVD and Blu-ray? Some of us have been waiting up to four years for these discs!!

I don't mind renting (or waiting to purchase in the used market) something like POTC: Dead Man's Chest or Cars until an equivalent HD-DVD appears, but something like these UB's that I've been waiting forever on is another kettle of fish entirely!

8. AaronSCH

AaronSCH Second Unit

I am basically done with Bond films and that George Lucas space opera until high definition. There is simply no comparison between SD-DVD and HD-DVD. If you think these remasters are for standard discs you are crazy. And I am certainly not gonna take a technological step back and let George Lucas grab more money from my wallet by releasing non-anamorphic versions of the original trilogy. I would be a fool if I invested more cash into something I will surely be able to purchase in HD within a year or two. Those that do not remember the past are destined to repeat it.

9. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I guess you'll think I'm a fool but if I want a DVD, I buy it.

10. Larry Sutliff

Thanks for the info, Aaron! TRILOGY OF TERROR is a must buy.

11. Larry Sutliff

I don't think you're a fool at all, and if for some reason a title like Richard Donner's cut of SUPERMAN II was made available only on DVD, with no HD DVD on the near horizon, I would buy the SD DVD. But, generally speaking, I won't be buying too many newer films on regular DVD for the forseeable future.

12. AaronSCH

AaronSCH Second Unit

I don't recall calling anybody a fool but myself. I have purchased the Bond films previously on VHS and DVD. I most recently sold my DVDs on Ebay in anticipation of new remasters. So, why would I be foolish enough to buy all those films again when I believe there will be high definition releases next year. I also predict that by this time next year other studios will have jumped ship and will be producing HD-DVD titles in addition to the "other high definition format."

13. Pete T C

Pete T C Second Unit

Exactly what I'm asking [​IMG] Let's face it, those two-disc Ultimate Bond discs aren't going out of print anytime soon. And, with MGM liking to make money they will most definitely land on HD DVD at some time in the future. So if you are an HD DVD Owner and you want Bond on HD DVD, the quickest way to get it there is by not buying the Bond series in DVD/Blu-Ray, because MGM will then find it more necessary to support HD DVD to get maximum cashin on the series. If you've waited for years, waiting another 6 months after they are released isn't going to lose you the set - if anything it might save you $100+ from having to rebuy the discs in HD DVD or $1000+ on buying a BD player.

14. AaronSCH

AaronSCH Second Unit

Amen Pete

15. Glen C

Glen C Stunt Coordinator

anyone buying the lowry-007 reissues on DVD REALLY needs to reexamine the concept of rent/netflix.

16. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    I would love to limit all my purchases to HD-DVD.

The problem is studios like Warner Brothers not releasing new
    "A" releases such as Inside Man and V for Vendetta
    to the format.

I'm actually forced to buy these on SD, which I would prefer not to.

17. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

Inside Man is Universal and you can bet it will be out on HD-DVD later this year. Also who said Warner wasnt releasing V for Vendetta? Warner announced ATL which was new this week on Friday

18. Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette Cinematographer

Ron,

If I understand what is being suggested in this thread, then I am sure I wouldn't be the only one to suggest that you rent such titles and not buy them. Additionally, you could buy them second-hand, but I really don't like to do that since I am very picky by nature.

Personally, I am not really concerned about A-list titles, especially if they are being released by studios that are already on-board with HD DVD because they will come out sooner rather than later in an effort to promote the format. No, what I worry about is the niche genres I like (e.g. Hammer horror and samurai flicks) and titles from companies like Anchor Bay Entertainment, Blue Underground, Criterion, and Dark Sky Films, there's no tellin' when that stuff will be on HD DVD or Blu-Ray for that matter.

19. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    My dvd purchases have not changed and will not. Also, if Sony gets their act together and prices drop I plan to buy a blu-ray player and support all 3 formats, SD-DVD, HD-DVD and Blu-ray.

20. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Sorry, didn't realize that Inside Man was Universal.

My point still stands...

If the studios want to push HD-DVD, why aren't they releasing
    titles like Inside Man and V For Vendetta day and date?

It seems like a no-brainer for any studio banking on a format.

...and what the heck is ATL? Not bashing the film (I know
    nothing about it), but how can you release this to HD-DVD day and
    date and leave out bigger titles?