HD-DVD @ 720p... worth the upgrade?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Rob Lutter, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

I have a 720P projector (the InFocus SP5000, which I am VERY happy with by the way) and I wanted to get some opinions from those who have tried it: how does HD-DVD look on a 720P-native screen at ~110" diagonal? (my seating is a good 12-13 feet from the screen)

Worth the upgrade? Am I going to see a difference if I'm not at 1080 lines of resolution like all the cool kids? [​IMG]

2. Alon Goldberg

Alon Goldberg Screenwriter

3. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    Nice link Alon. I remember reading that last spring but forgot about it. I'm in that market myself and have been wondering too what to do in regards to a new PJ. I'm sure the new 1080p units and their info will be in full force at CEDIA next month. My guess the least expensive one will street for around $3000-maybe less. Probably, Panasonic or Optoma will have a model that is affordable. But there are some GREAt buys right now for 720p models.

4. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Why buy a 720P when it's been past quality-wise by 1080P? I would rather wait and save more money to buy the product that gives me the best picture quality now and is somewhat future protected.

5. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover

Hey Robert, I realize waiting a bit would squeeze the ultimate out of HD-DVD and over the air HD content as well. But it might be a year before (next fall 07) before the 1080p projectors are in my budget. Right now, I'm slumming on 480i maximum. [​IMG] People are seeing some wonderful images on their 720p projectors...hopefully we'll get a glance at some ballpark pricing on these at CEDIA?

[​IMG]

6. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    It still goes back to why buy something that you budgeted for that you will want to replace in a couple of years? Now, if you're going to be satisfied with that projector for 4-5 years then go for it.

7. Alon Goldberg

Alon Goldberg Screenwriter

Hi Tim - 1080p projectors are currently on the market for $10,000 - $40,000. This year we may see 1080p projectors drop as low as $6,000, but I don't think we will see as low as $3,000 in the next 12 months. Hopefully I'm wrong!

8. Ken_F

Ken_F Stunt Coordinator

Note that respectable companies are already taking preorders on the Sony VPLVW50 "Pearl" 1080p SXRD front projector at just over $4000.

You can find more information on the Sony VPLVW50 "Pearl" -- which is based on the same technology as the Sony Ruby -- in this thread.

The days of $10,000 1080p projectors are quickly coming to an end. Expect 1080p projectors at $2000 within the next two years.

9. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

I'm not going to be able to go to a 1080p projector for a looooong time.

The only reason I have a 720p projector is that InFocus was (and probably still is) clearancing refurbished SP5000s (with a free 76" screen that I'll never use, lol) for $799.99 SHIPPED. I'm just a poor college student, so until 1080p projectors get down a LOT in price (probably like... 3-5 years) I'm stuck in my 720p world.

Not to say that it's not a nice world... heh. I'm not complaining.

Thanks for the article, by the way.

10. Ken_F

Ken_F Stunt Coordinator

Getting back to the original question...HD-DVD @ 720p is definitely worth the upgrade.

11. Dan M

Dan M Second Unit

Im loving HD DVD on my Infocus IN76 720p projector....I think its worth the 2k I spent to hold me over a few more years until a quality 1080p unit comes down to that price range....far exceeds my old Infocus 4805 for upscaling SD DVD alone......

I simply can't wait 2 or 3 more years to afford 1080p on a projector

12. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

bottom line is- HD DVDs currently are better mastered, compressed, encoded, by far, than even the best standard def dvds.
    Even if you aren't getting the full resolved 1080 lines, the source is still potent enough to exceed even the best dvds.

at the bare minimum (an XGA or WXGA display) HD DVD is like DVD on steroids.

well worth the nominal buy in cost (imo).

otoh, if it were $1K or over, then I would say- even with the stellar HD DVD quality, that you may want to postpone this upgrade until you were feeling particularly flush- but for $500... a no brainer, imo.
    best bang for the buck upgrade for your display you will ever see.

13. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

I'm considering a 720p pj purchase soon that may only last 2 years or so until a 1080p upgrade.

reasons that i see a purchase like this being worth it
    - a new (3 year) warranty
    - a new bulb
    - resolution bump (I'm going form an XGA, though)
    - improved contrast levels
    - can get a model that was formerly more of a high end (better optics, construction, better feature set, quieter, more refined ) for a better price.
    - the 'end of life' 720ps will have been well put thru their paces so there is a better wealth of knowledge as to a given models particular quirks, issues or other service related concerns, etc

even if the Pearl streeted within $200 of my max budget, I would still be very leery of buying into it since it may take 6 months to a year before people begin to see 'deal killing' issues crop up. Whether its related to performance, or reliability or service- I've found it usually pays to stay a generation behind and benefit from trails blazed by the guys with all the bragging rights (and arrows in their caps) up ahead

14. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    Ken,
    Thank you for the link for the new upcoming Sony Pearl 1080p projector. That was one long thread. [​IMG] Even it streets for $4000 that's still way out of my range. Looks like a nice 720p for me if I return to a Front Proj.

Like I said earlier, reviewers of these 720p units have been gushing on how good HD content looks... More than likely by the time 1080p projectors are more affordable, I will have already or about to replace my Toshiba HD-DVD player too. [​IMG]

15. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    This may not help and may not be relivent. But I just got my HD-A1 about 1 week ago and I am using an Sony 50" LCD RP-HDTV with a native resolution of 720p. And I feel it was worth the investment, even just for the upconverting dvd section. But HD-DVD looks great on my HDTV and I would be willing to be that it would look great on a 100" screen as well. Even though you would not be using all 1080 lines you would still have an extra 240 lines over sd-dvd. And that sorce would still have alot more detail and resolution vs sd-dvd.

I am starting out with a 50" HDTV 720p RPTV but I will eventually upgrade to a 1080p HD projector. So I can watch HD-DVD, Cable HD channels and even Blu-ray if I end up buying a player at full resolution. I honestly believe that even with a 720p display that any HD source will look very good.

16. ppltd

ppltd Producer

Back in February my front project died (it gave me many years of use). While I wanted a 1080p projector, I just couldn't justify the cost. I ended buying a Panasonic 900u for 1899.00 (It came with a 400.00 cash rebate and a 300.00 Blockbuster card). When it arrived I set it up and could not have been happier.

I decided to finally invest in a screen. Took a chance on a new screen company sold by projectionwholesale.com and spent 350.00 on a 106' diag 16x9 high contrast gray screen. (Fixed alum frame covered in black felt. I figured it was a throw away price if it didn't work out. After setting it up I was again thrilled at the quality of the screen and projector combo, purchased for less than 2000.00 (after rebate)[​IMG] .

Just checked on line and you can get the same setup for about 200.00 less now. At that price, there is little reason to wait until you can afford a 1080p. Get it and enjoy. BTW, HD looks great on 720p.

Thomas Eisenmann

17. Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian Screenwriter

Man...

I'd KILL to have at least component video in 480i. All I'm stuck with is S-video.

[​IMG]

18. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    Cool story Thomas....very cool. I think we'll have a clearer idea of choices after CEDIA next week. [​IMG]

BTW, the Panny 900u is supposed to look great on HD. I'm sure yours is awesome.

19. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    I can't wait to see what nice toys will be anounced at CEDIA [​IMG]

20. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

Do you ever watch HDTV? Does it look better than a DVD? HD-DVD is the same way, except with fewer (sometimes far fewer) artifacts.

In addition, many of the instore demos use 720p displays.