What's new

HD DSS antenna source? (1 Viewer)

Bruce N

Second Unit
Do you mean a DSS (Digital Satellite System, DirecTV or Dish Network) dish?
Or an OTA (Over The Air) antenna to get local digital and HD programming?
If you just need an OTA antenna, then any regular TV antenna will do. There is nothing special about an antenna to receive digital OTA signals.
Bruce
------------------
"Why do I sense we've picked up another pathetic lifeform?"

Timmy

Stunt Coordinator
the Dish HD DSS antenna s not a special HDTV dish; its just the run-of-the-mill 18" with standard LNB.... pointed towards the Dish HDTV bird.

Jim Robbins

Stunt Coordinator
I was under the impression that it was a special 24" elip dish with two heads. One for HD and one for regular. I think they call it Directv plus.

Jeff Loughridge

Stunt Coordinator
If you are talking DirecTv, you can buy the dish and multiswitch for about $100-$150, or you can do what I did. I went to Wal-Mart and bought their RCA DS4421RE for $99.00. It came with the multi-sat dish, two dual LNB's, the multi-switch, and an RCA DTV Plus receiver. :)
Try:http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...4555&dept=3944
------------------
Jeff Loughridge
Director of Engineering
WPGC/WHFS
Infinity Broadcasting Corp
[email protected]
[Edited last by Jeff Loughridge on July 17, 2001 at 05:41 PM]

Jim Robbins

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff,
So there is no difference in a HD LNB than a NTSC one? The review of the RCA DTC-100 just reports that it has 3 tuners in it, one for land based signals, one for HD and one for DirecTV. It also mentioned that it takes a different dish to pickup two satelites at once, one having the HD channels on it.

Jeff Loughridge

Stunt Coordinator
No, there is no difference in an HD and standard LNB. The dish you need is the oval with mount for 3 LNB's. You use the two outside positions, which see the 101 and 119 degree birds. The HD receiver does indeed have 3 tuners; one for standard Directv, one for OTA low def and HD, and one for Directv HD. Of course, you can also do this with two 18" dishes, just point one at each bird and run their LNB outputs to the multiswitch.

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
Thanks for the link Jeff. That's a great deal! I've been looking for an elliptical dish and everywhere I've looked wants at least $130 just for the dish. Does anyone know if Walmart also carries this in their B&M stores? I'd rather just go pick it up instead of having to pay for shipping.

Jeff Loughridge

Stunt Coordinator
That's exactly what I did. I called the local B&M to be sure they had it in stock. The clerk was clueless, but it turns out they had 2. I got one that night.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks