HD (Dish or reciever)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan Keefe, Aug 23, 2001.

1. Dan Keefe

Dan Keefe Second Unit

To receive HD on Dish network, do you need a special dish also or just the 6000 receiver. I recently had a dish installed but was unaware at the time that Dish carried HD, If it won't cost a lot, looks like I will be in the market for a new TV!
    that will make my wife happy [​IMG]

2. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

To get HD on dish network you need a second dish pointed to the 61.5 or 148 satallite in addition to the dish 6000 hd receiver..While a second dish may be a bit inconvientant, Dish has plenty of bandwidth on these birds to provide HD content and any new content that comes along...
    ------------------

3. Bill Gato

Bill Gato Stunt Coordinator

I'm also in the market for an HD-capable dish in the very near future. I don't have the first clue about what to look for so Dan's question is apropos for me too.
    Mike, are you saying that if I choose to get HD and regular broadcasts for my television, I will need two dishes in all? Why is that?
    Also, which dish company do you all recommend for a first-time buyer? I know that the two most popular companies are Dish Network and Direct TV.
    Thanks for your input.
    ------------------
    Bill the Cat

4. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

Bill
    Right now and probabably for sometime to come, Dish network is the clear leader in providing HD content over Direct TV, which are the only two US DBS providers...
    With Dish Network however you do need two dishes...The main dish or dish 500 is a 24 inch oval dish with duel LNB's that picks up both the 110 and 119 satallites where dish has all it's core or regular channels...Because HD channels take up so much more bandwidth than standard channels, Dish choose to put it's HD channels on the 61.5 sat and mirrored these HD channels on the 148 satallite..You only need to point the second dish at one of them..Since you live on the west coast your better and easier choice would be the 148 satallite for the HD channels.....Both these satallites have plenty of additional bandwidth available as more HD channels come's along dish said and will add them....
    ------------------
    [Edited last by Mike I on August 24, 2001 at 12:46 PM]