HD/DirecTv Tuner & Video Scaler Suggestions

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Jeff Lund, Apr 14, 2003.

1. Jeff Lund

Jeff Lund Stunt Coordinator

I'll be in the market for both items in the very near future. Basically, I'm looking for the best products in each category. I've been looking at the iScan Pro in regards to video scalers but am open to other suggestions. I don't know what models to look for when it comes to HD/DirecTv tuners. I have no other requirements except that the tuner have one of the new copy protection connectors so that's it's not obsolete in a year.

Here's another question I just thought of. I have a Hughes DirecTivo unit which I'm extremely happy with. Now if I do get an HD/DirecTv tuner, should I run both satellite receivers so I can keep using my Tivo or is there a DirecTivo that can decode HD and record standard-def programs? Or is there a model that does HD decoding and recording as well as standard-def recording? Does having a video scaler effect the HD tuner decision in any way?

In any event, please feel free to suggest as many options as needed. I want to cover all my bases and be as thorough as possible.

Thanks in advance for all your help and guidance.

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert

3. Jeff Lund

Thanks Robert for the above info. I really do appreciate it.

Are there any more suggestions on HD/DirecTv tuners or video scalers? I can use all the help I can get [​IMG]

4. Dzung Pham

Dzung Pham Second Unit

It might be helpful if you post what kind of display you will be using and what sources you would like to scale. In addition, when you say you want the best, does that mean price is no object? Scalers can easily be several thousands of dollars.

5. Jeff Lund

Well, I'm also in the market for a new HD display as well. If I like what I see, I plan on purchasing a Sony VPL-HS10 projector. Sources I would like to scale: basically any non-HD or non-anamorphic image such as LD, VHS (I have several hundred sports tapes from ever the years), and standard-def satellite.

As far the "best" scaler, I'm guilty by not putting a price in there. While I would love a Faroudja NRS, I'm not in that tax bracket. I was looking for the best scaler, best bang-for-the-buck under $1000. Does anything top the iScan pro ?

6. Dzung Pham

Dzung Pham Second Unit

I believe the Iscan Ultra is similar to the Pro but offers more inputs and outputs. You may also want to consider Focus Enhancements CS-HD which retails for $1k, uses the Silicon Image deinterlacer (same as or similar to the Iscan) but also provides scaling to higher resolutions, which is usually a good thing when it comes to digital projectors. I don't believe the CS-HD will provide 1 to 1 pixel mapping with the Sony however, but the more expensive CS-1 or CS-2 models should.

If you're computer savvy, you could use a home theater PC to perform the scaling for you for less than $1k using the Dscaler free software, or for a little bit more if you pick up a Holo3D PCI card (basically Faroudja in a PC). Another possibility is to purchase a projector with built-in Faroudja processing. Several projectors in the Sony's price range have this feature. In this case, you would not need a scaler at all. Actually, I would check to see how the projector you purchase does its own scaling before buying an external scaler for it. You may not need one in the end.

There is a thread nearby about an HD DirecTivo box coming out sometime this year. I'm waiting for that to replace my DTC-100.

7. Craig Robertson

Craig Robertson Supporting Actor

if you're willing to go the used route, you should be able to find a CS-1 for around $1k. i bought a three month old unit for that price, shipped.

8. Jeff Lund

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. It has really helped and I really appreciate it.

9. T r o y

T r o y Supporting Actor

Thought I would bring this thread alive once again.
    I did a search on CS-2 and this thread appeared.
    I too will be buying some sort of scaler next spring.
    I currently have the first gen. ISCAN which is only limited to 480P. I so badly desire the 720P and other resolutions that I cannot get with the iscan I have.

I was reading up on the Iscan Ultra but it too doesn't do higher resolutions beyond 576P. I may check out the CS-HD unit from Focus Enhancements.

Jeff, did you finally decide on a scaler? Which one?
    And if so, how do you like it's performance?

Thanks!
    Troy