HD component video switching - need 3 inputs - what pre to get?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Hap C, Nov 16, 2002.

1. Hap C

Hap C Agent

I want to upgrade from a Denon 3300 receiver to separates (5 channel is enough, don't really need 7), and I'd like to be able to have the capability to switch between 3 HD capable component inputs on a pre-amp processor (for HD terrestrial receiver; digital cable with HD channels; and prog scan DVD player). I have found that most of the pre processors out there only switch between 2 component video inputs, and many of them don't have enough bandwith to do HD signals. Some of the newer Denon receivers (4802 and up) have 3 inputs and advertise full HD bandwith. If a receiver can do this feature, why aren't there any pre processor separates that match that capability? I was going to get the Rotel 1066, which does only 2 component inputs, but just learned that it does not pass HD signals, so it's out for now.

Anyone have any suggestions re a good pre processor that will switch 3 component video inputs with enought bandwith for full HD?

Thanks in advance,

Hap

2. Dan Krieg

Dan Krieg Auditioning

I think there are quite a few different brands of pre-pro that have this.

I just took delivery of a Sunfire Theater Grand III and it has 3 component ins with 2 outs and passes HD quite nicely.

Dan

3. DanielSmi

DanielSmi Second Unit

There's the Sunfire Theater Grand III ($3,495), or the Aragon Stage One ($4,000). You only need about 35MHz of bandwidth to pass HDTV signals you don't need a 100MHz, that like a speaker that goes to 100kHz you need a speaker to go that high. My 49tx has a bandwidth of 40MHz and that is enough to get THX ULTRA2 certified. It's part of the requirements for ULTRA2 cert that a receiver can pass HDTV without degradation.

Daniel Smith

4. Hap C

Hap C Agent

Dan, I had looked at the Sunfire II, which has 2 inputs, but was not aware the III has 3 inputs. From comments some friends have made, I thought the Sunfire line had reliability problems. What is your impression? Haven't seen the Aragon anywhere. Are there any pre processors with 3 imputs you are aware of? Thanks.

Hap

5. Michael Mohrmann

Michael Mohrmann Screenwriter

Lexicon MC-12 and MC-12B.

Michael

6. Chris S

Chris S Cinematographer

Chris S
    If you find a pre that you like (that doesn't have component switching) and don't mind adding another small box to your setup you could get an Audio Authority 1154. I have been looking at picking one of these up recently and have read some pretty good things about it. You can find a review at www.keohi.com.
    Chris S.

7. Hap C

Hap C Agent

I'll take a look at the Lexicon.

Michael, the Audio Authority box looks very interesting. Wasn't able to open the Keohi link - is the URL correct? Thanks.

8. Dan Krieg

Dan Krieg Auditioning

In regards to my experience with the reliability of the Sunfire products.

I've had my Sunfire Cinema Grand for about a year now averaging about 10 hours per week of serious use. No problems whatsoever. I also have a friend with the same unit who probably gives 40 hours per week of serios use. He's had his for over 2 years, never turns it off, and has also never had a problem.

I've only had the TGIII for about a week now, but so far everything is working as advertised.

Dan

9. KevinYee

KevinYee Stunt Coordinator

Yes, definitely take a look at the Lexicon MC12/MC12b. Definitely one of, if not THE, best pre/pros for HT out there.

10. Derek1

Derek1 Agent

I would also recomend the Lexicon MC-12 or MC-12b. The b signifies that it is a balanced version with XLR outs for all channels including Sub-L, Sub-R, and LFE. (FYI the balanced unit still has the ability to use the unbalanced RCA conectors.)

If you find you like the Lexicon I can set you up with one.

11. DanielSmi

DanielSmi Second Unit

Krell Showcase came out with a new product with 3 wideband component inputs, plus it has a digital room eequalizer that compensates for listening-room acoustics, kindof like the Pioneer Elite MCACC, sounds interesting. Click here to learn more.
    Daniel Smith

12. Hap C

Hap C Agent

Daniel, thanks very much. How do you like your Pioneer Elite? Haven't seen one locally, but from what I have read they are very nice.

13. Michael_Hml

Michael_Hml Stunt Coordinator

There's also the B&K Ref50, THX Ultra2 certified, three component inputs. List is just under $3K, but it can be had for a fair amount less than that if you shop around.

-Mike

14. DanielSmi

DanielSmi Second Unit

I love my 49tx, I think it's great. I do plan on upgrading to Parasound 2205AT for external amps within a year. So I'll be using that as a pre/pro and also use it to amplifiy my rear speakers. By the way I'm using all Klipsch reference speakers except my rear surrounds.

Yeah I forgot about the ref50. Every THX ULTRA2 cert. pre/pro will be able to pass HDTV signals flawlessly.

Daniel Smith

15. Tim Christianson

Hap,
    Check out the Theater Grand III here:
    Sunfire
    It has links to a very large photo of the front and back of the product.

16. Chris S

Chris S Cinematographer

Chris S
    Hap,
    It looks like the site is moving around a little. You might want to try this link instead.
    Chris S.

17. Hap C

Hap C Agent

Chris S, thanks very much. The Keohi site says they are switching servers, guess that's the reason for the site hide and seek. I just read the info on the switches, and the Audio Authority seems like a real possiblity. I'd still prefer to get it all in a preamp if possible, but if I can't find what I want this is definitely an option.

18. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

My Ref50 has three in's & one out. Passes HD signals flawlessly. Tested @ over 100Mhz bandwidth. Good deals on the pre are out there..

19. Frank Frandsen

Frank Frandsen Stunt Coordinator

The Integra Research RDC-7 has 3 component inputs and passes a perfect hdtv signal. I am running my DVD, Hughes e86 STB and Xbox thru it with exemplary results.

Frank

20. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

I just got my Audio Authority box today and I'm loving it.
    Example:
    Tosh 50H81:
    HD1-Denon 3802 Component Out
    HD2-Audio Authority 1154 Component Out
    Denon 3802:
    TV/DVS-TimeWarner HD Cable + Coax in
    DVD-Panasonic RP91 + Optical 1 in
    VDP-Audio Authority 1154 on Optical 2 in + LD/DVD SVID in + L/R Analog Audio in
    VCR2-Mac USB Sonica on Optical 3 in
    Audio Authority:
    1st Priority: Game Cube Component + L/R Analog + AC3 coax output from demodulator!!
    2nd Priority: PS2 Component + optical
    3rd Priority: LD/DVD Combo Component in + LD/DVD Combo DTS/DPL coax
    4th Priority: HTPC + HiPix AC3 in. (I'm still waiting for M-Audio "CO2" coax/opt converter to see if I can have Audiophile as an optical in and HiPix as Coax in on the same 4th Priority.
    Essentially, unless the Game Cube, PS2, or LD/DVD are on the Audio Authority box sends my HTPC input to the TV directly and to the Receiver via the "VDP" option. When the LD/DVD is on it takes precedence over the HTPC. When the demodulator is on the AC3 will output from #1. When the demodulator is off, the DTS/DPL is sent from #4.
    Seeing as the LD part of the combo player is using S-Video I can do this cheat. I found that if the demod was on all the time it rendered the DTS/DPL output nonfunctional even if they were on the same Priority number. By putting the demod on the gamecube's vacant coax in or opt in allows me to have AC3 work whenever I turn the demod on and if it isn't the DTS/DPL output is sent. This is the one problem I've found. I don't think this problem will happen with HTPC + HiPix, because when the HiPix is off no signal is sent. I'll simply put the HiPix on either coax or optical by the converter and let the HiPix be top audio priority and HTPC second audio priority. I could proably do the same with LD/DVD since the demod and player can output opt or coax, but this works for now.
    The DVD Progressive out and TW HD Cable are switchable at the receiver level.
    Finally, it looks like I won't be seeing the back of my rack until I pick up a DVHS. [​IMG] I've been told you can piggy back the 1154s and the audio only boxes to allow untold priority configurations. I'm glad it doesn't require a remote now, though it did take a bit of planning to get this working.
    This is the best upgrade I've done to my HT since the HiPix card.