HD Component cables ???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DonnyD, Dec 24, 2001.

1. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

Just beginning to make the switch to HD stuff and have noticed listings for regular component cables and also HD component cables.... and noted they are 3 times the price....

Does HD require these cables or is it just one of those upgrades with little difference.

2. andyg

andyg Agent

Just hype. Use a shielded video cable for the 3 inputs and you will be fine. I make my connection from quad RG6 for all my low level audio and component video connections.

---Andy Garabedian

3. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

Thanks Andy... just what I thought.

Actually, when I first got a dvd and rptv, I made the purchase of some "superior high-end component video cables" and hooked'em up, and calibrated with VE. For a couple of months, we kept noticing a color dominance of green tones when viewing dvd and finally ran it down to the cables, I was really p----- since I paid 40 bucks for them. Anyway, until I could replace them, I just took a set of rca audio cables + 1 other unknown type and substituted the cables. To my surprise, I noted no difference.... yes I checked calibrations with VE and simply found that apparently it was a waste to start with to purchase these high end cables. That being said, I do intend to buy some more component cables when I get the HD TV.

4. Brian Schucher

Brian Schucher Supporting Actor

You will find lots of opinions on cables for video. 40 bucks surely didnt get you "high end" component cables though. Many people swear by differences in cables and sometimes price is not the issue.

5. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

For HDTV you really need better cables than comes with your run of the mill interlaced DVD player. Still, try something that is not too expensive and see how the picture looks.
    Unfortunately there is no easy way to tell in advance what is HDTV grade except to take the word of the salesman or the package label. The cable may work fine or maybe not. If the cable turns out to be lower grade, the picture is softer and there may be some ghosts or echoes or color smearing.
    To complicate the matter, some cables have a much higher price and only marginal added quality.
    More on bandwidth:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/bandwid.htm

6. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

I hear you Allan.... sometimes it is just faith that what you buy will be better. The 40 bucks I spent on those high end cables was 4 years ago and they were Monster. "Reportedly" great.

Ended up being a cable breakage in one of them. As I mentioned, I haven't replaced them... just still using regular cables.

And yes, I do have faith that some cables would be better and probably naticeably. I do intend to buy some high end cables again when HD comes to the house! As a matter of fact, I intend to buy 2 or 3 sets just to experiment!

7. JerryLA

JerryLA Stunt Coordinator

I went with some of the advice on this forum and made the investment of high end cables for all my connections. Yes it takes a bit of cash but in the long run I think it is worth it. My choice was Silver Serpents.... for my eyes.... they were the best!

Jerry

8. John Tillman

John Tillman Supporting Actor

I agree with what Andy said. $68 for a 500' roll of Home Depot RG6 quad shield goes a long way.