HD compatible projector query

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Jonathon M, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Jonathon M

Jonathon M Stunt Coordinator

Jonathon
    I'm trying to find out what projectors I should investigate for hiring for an event.

There's a film screening at the post-graduate film school I'm currently attending, and we're investigating what possibilities we can use to project our films in HD.

The films are shot and edited in Sony's proprietary HDV format at 1080i resolution with a framerate of 50i (PAL). We have component output from the camera/HDV playback decks at full resolution. The (really rough) estimated range of the projector from the screen would be approximately 25 meters or about 82 feet.

As such, I need a high powered projector with a long range, and component in.

Any ideas?

2. Alon Goldberg

Alon Goldberg Screenwriter

Hi Jonathon - I did some research on long component cable runs and found these replies on another forum:

--

"Use 75 ohm video cable that meets or exceeds Belden 8281 (RG6 is the wrong cable) plus you MUST use 75 ohm connectors. Unless you are skilled at properly terminating the cable you would be best served having this custom run made for you by a specialty dealer or servicer such as Mastertech."

--

"Belden 8281 is the best broadcast quality video cable , the industry standard . 8281 is designed for tv studios where where cable lengths over 100 feet are common . It is designed for baseband video and has a solid copper center conductor . RG6 has a copper clad steel center conductor and is designed for higher radio frequencies which travel proportionally on the surface of the center conductor . Belden 8281 is available in a variety of colors and costs about $600 for a 1000 foot roll . black is available in 500 foot rolls . Mouser electronics (www.mouser.com) will sell 100 foot lengths and the last time I ordered in 1997 they also sold it by the foot . You will have to use bnc connectors on the cable ."

--

"Here is an excellent source of custom and long length high quality Belden-based coax component cables with your choice of RCA or BNC 75ohm connectors at either end: http://bluejeanscable.com/store/comp...nentprices.htm "

--

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Jonathon. I am going to move your post to the Display Devices fourm. Your question is a bit advanced for the 'basic' area.