1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

HD compatability w/ non HD TV

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Mac, Feb 10, 2004.

1. Mac

Mac Agent

I have a Sony 36" flat screen non-HDTV, but it does have the option to accept the 16:9 dvd's via a progressive scan dvd player--very nice picture. I do not like my picture that the standard Directv box outputs to my Sony--what if I purchased a high def sattelite box (Zenith) and hooked up to Sony via component cables--would I receive the widescreen picture via the same as above in some form of high def? If not, would I still be able to view the high def channels, but just down-converted--would it be a better picture than the standard directv receiver? Thanks for your help!!!

Mac

2. Aaron_*P

Aaron_*P Stunt Coordinator

I have the Dish 811 hooked to a widescreen projector (Infocus 7200) and the format of the programming is determined by the source, not the reciever. Only the HD channels are in widescreen, all the SD channels are still in 4:3 and there are black lines on the side. Your picture quality may be degraded if it is converted to 4:3 on your box then 16:9 on your tv so make sure your box is set to 16:9 (not sure but you seemed to say your tv was widescreen, if it is not make sure your box is set to 4:3).

3. nick_rh

nick_rh Stunt Coordinator

You would get a better picture on hi-def channels, but they'd have to be downconverted for your non-HDTV. I was using this setup on my 27" Sony Wega for a while, using 16x9 enhanced mode, and HD programs looked great, definitely worlds better than cable or satellite. I have a Zenith over-the-air HD receiver, and it won't output to a regular TV via component video cables -- those are for HDTVs only; you have to use S-Video or composite to output to a standard-def TV.

4. John S

John S Producer

If the set can take 480p input, I say go for it...

I mean that with that feature the set becomes at least EDTV, and is quite good. Especially if it has a native 16:9 mode for 480p sources, I would asume you have verified that works, as my dang set only allows the 16:9 native mode for 1080i sources even though it is the same Component Input that can be used for 480p, but it locks into "Full" 4:3 mode when I do this. So right now I am better off using my non progressive scan player via component and letting the TV do the "P" progressive scan as it accurately takes anamorphic ques from the DVD player.