What's new

HD channels in NYC area and DTV problem (1 Viewer)

Eric M F

Auditioning
I just got a new Mitsubishi HD receiver and have been trying to pick up local OTA signals. (I live just across the river from NYC in Hoboken, NJ.) Through hunting and pecking, I was finally able to pick up Fox on 5-1 last night and get Ally McBeal, much to my wife's delight. However, I have been unable to get any other stations. Can someone please provide some guidance on any other stations transmitting in HD and the channels that they transmit on? (I understand some broadcasting capabilities may have gone down with the WTC.)

More importantly since I have already cancelled my cable service is the problem I am having with my new satellite dish. It's an oval dish, and I can't get it pointed in the proper direction. (At least I assume that is the problem.)The signal strength bar shows nothing, but doing a "cable test" shows that some transponders show that there may be some signal being received as they aren't all "0". DOes this mean I am close to pointing it in the right direction? Yet, no picture on channel 100. Any tips? Do my coordinates sound right: azimuth 243, elevation 30 and tilt 56? There are some building on the horizon, but 30 degrees should clear those.

Thanks for any help.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Make sure your mast is exactly plumb. Set your tilt and leave it. It matches the coordinates on the RCA web site. Get a decent compass, like the $10 model from Wal-Mart and find an oject in the distance at the correct azimuth. Aim the dish at this object (don't use the arm as a pointer). Start with the elevation a few degrees too high and sweep the sky about 10 degrees on either side of the object. Lower one degree and sweep again. A sweep should take 30 seconds to one minute. It shouldn't take but a couple of sweeps to find a signal on the 101 satellite transponder 2. Fine tune that one and check the strength on the 119 sat. It will be a few points lower but that's OK. Be careful when tightening the bolts, they can cause the dish to move.

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks