hd channel problem

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Jeremy Swenson, Oct 27, 2004.

1. Jeremy Swenson

Jeremy Swenson Stunt Coordinator

Feb 26, 2004
    i always used to get all the over the air channels no problem, now for some reason i dont get abc hd anymore, i can get the analog channel and on the digital channel it says i have a 77% signal, so why cant i see a picture?
  2. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Nov 1, 1998
    When reception of digital channels degrades, usually the entire picture disappears rather than becoming fuzzy. Unlike analog broadcasts, digital broadcasts do not have a regular time based scan line cadence that the receiver can sync. with. So with enough data loss, the receiver can't keep track of where one scan line or frame ends and the next begins.

Unmake and remake all of the antenna connections twice, this should overcome oxidation that degrades the connection.

Inspect the cables and wires for physical damage or squashing, and replace if needed.

Check to be sure that the antenna has not been disturbed or damaged. Unfortunately if some of the antenna joints are riveted and oxidized, you may be unable to improve these connections and may have to go out and buy a new antenna.

Video hints:
  3. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Jul 8, 1998
    Well, I would not automatically assume its your rig. Do you know anyone else near you that can receive it? A call or e-mail to the station's engineering staff might be in order.

In my city, the state of digital broadcasting is anything but stable. I had various issues, including what you describe...a full signal, but no picture. And it was a problem at the station. At any given time, its even money that one or more of the majors will be off the air for one reason or another.

FWIW, I have e-mail addresses for the chief engineer at all four major network affiliates, and believe me, they have come in handy!