What's new

HD Cablebox question (1 Viewer)

Rich Allen

Second Unit
Real Name
Rich Allen
Has anyone who is using the component video connection from their HD cable boxes ever noticed much, if any, downrezzing due to HDCP? I'm asking this because I am getting a new receiver, Pioneer VSX-72 with HDMi switching. I am reading about all the issues of using an HDMI connection through the receiver and want to keep just one connection to my TV. If I'm not gonna lose anything by going with component instead of hdmi, I'll do that as it would keep the connections a lot simpler.

Thanks.

johnADA

Stunt Coordinator
When I got my HD-3250 box from Time Warner I fed it from the HDMI port to the TV. Wanting that only port for the DVD and not wanting to spend $300 or so for a switch I went to component cables and digital audio. NO DIFFERENCE I could find swapping from one hookup to the other and I looked hard. Even ended up not using HDMI for the DVD player since nothing was found better there once I got the hack that allowed over 520P off component.
Theory says DVI or HDMI is the best, but I think thats kinda some hogwash with todays stuff, future??? maybe but component and digital audio as it is a wild jump from the understudies where DVI and HDMI just dont show yet!

Rich Allen

Second Unit
Real Name
Rich Allen
I suspect myself there is little if any difference in picture quality between component and HDMI, but the HDCP is what concerns me. If it will cause any downrezzing over the component cables.

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
I have a Motorola HD-DVR and haven't seen any down rezzing over component, even with recorded material. However, I only get the free HD channels, I don't have any premium channels and I don't use PPV.

Ralph P.

Stunt Coordinator

Greetings,

Rich, HDCP will only effect the HDMI outputs. The component video output will send 1080i/720p signals with full resolution.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks