What's new

HD cable HDMI or Component? (1 Viewer)

Tim L

Second Unit
I am getting HD from comcast hooked up this week- was wondering is there a difference between using component or HDMI for picture quaility when hooking up the box the set? thanks
Tim

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
did you get the box already? my comcast HDTV box only has DVI output. but you can use a DVI->HDMI if you don't have DVI. HDMI is better than component.

Tim L

Second Unit
well the box i got did not have HDMI- so its hooked up via component- the picture looks pretty damn good though-gonna have to do some more tweaking- but so far so good.
theman

Nick:G

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick Gallegos

That is very debatable. I've found that on digital cable STB's in general, there is virtually no difference in quality between DVI and analog component video connections. However, you're forced to use these connections to use the upconversion feature on newer DVD players and (currently) HD output on Blu-Ray players.

With that being said, you can avoid buying a much more expensive DVI cable and just stick with component cables (and you probably already have these!).

Comcast uses Motorola and Scientific-Atlanta set-top boxes (depending on your area) and the models they use all output DVI. I know that the 8300HD box that Scientific Atlanta makes (used by Cox Communications in my area) has notorious problems with its HDMI output because it's an old-spec 1.0 port.

I usually try to avoid digital video connections when I can because at least on my current TV, my eyes simply can't see a visible difference. All my other components are older and only output analog video anyway.

Barry_B_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Barry

I agree with Nick:G; I just had an HD satellite box installed which forces you to choose between HDMI and component connections. Since my current receiver doesn't have an HDMI port, I chose to use component with an optical cable for digital audio. Programs in HD seem almost or just as sharp (depends on the channel and program) as my DVD player connected via DVI-HDMI cable. I think you'll be pleased with the display in either case.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
lemme revise my statement then, DVI/HDMI is better if the source is pre-recorded HD media. for streaming HDTV, component and DVI/HDMI isn't that different because HD media is better than HDTV for the most part and has a higher+more consistent bitrate (once they work out the BR bugs ;).

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Joe Kane (author of "Digital Video Essentials" setup disk) said he is noticing a lot of artifacts with component connections that are avoided by using either a DVI or HDMI cable.

He attributes this to the televisions - not the cables. HD televisions take the analog component signal and digitize it for it's internal use. This process is not perfect and shows the occasional artifact. Joe recommends a digital connection so you avoid this issue.

Having said that - my HD cable box is hooked up with component cables. But it has been in the back of my mind to play with the digital options .. someday. :)

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
HDMI vs component:

It depends. :)

It depends on how it's implemented in both the display and the source. Some displays in the old days, for example, converted the HDMI to analog and simply tapped into the component circuits (when HDMI was first being added to displays). And some sources will be better one way or another. For example, in Kris' Secrets DVD player reviews he grades video quality by HDMI and component outputs. Some players have better HDMI output, some have better component output.

Bottom line? You have to look yourself. But be careful to note that calibration might be different between the two.

Tim L

Second Unit
I had to swap out the HD box already- comast tech came and did that-my HD programs were not that good and I lost guide-info information on only the HD channels. But again the new box is like the other with component only. Only the DVR boxes have HDMI-but the tech said to best avoid them because of all the problems with them. so for now it looks like component for a while. but Imust say watching "Kingdom of heaven" on HBO last night was probably the best picture I have ever seen-very impressive.
thetman

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Have y'all seen all the propaga.....er.....marketing the manufacturers are using to push HDMI? It's hilarious. They make it sound like if you use it, you will ascend to a higher plane of existance - sheesh. :rolleyes:

Personally I think what's really happening is that the suits in Hollywood are leaning heavily on the manufacturers to do this, while at the same time praying with sweaty hands for the day when all dvd players have only HDMI connections. That's the day when all us dirty sinful customers that buy their movies and - of course! - are trying rip them off can't copy anything anymore.

Because why else would a digital encryption scheme be needed simply to transmit a signal to a TV set six feet away?

Too bad the real pirates will probably just find a way around any encryption that's implemented, or barring that they'll just mount a camcorder on a tripod in front of a decent widescreen TV and push record. From what I've seen people that knowingly buy illegal merchandise don't seem to care all that much about image & sound quality.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
tim,

didya get the motorola STB w/DVI+component out? i have that and on guide works for component out and composite out but not S-Video... which is weird.

lance,
you brought up an interesting point. with HD camera's heading towards $1,000, it's funny to think that so many corporations have come up with so many copyright schemes only to be defeated by... a low-tech approach of just a camcorder, lol =). plus, it'll be 1080i caps with at least stereo around.

Tim L

Second Unit
yes my box has dvi and component output. the funny thing is (well not funny at the time) but my wife finally admitted her guilt. I guess she originally hit channel 4 on the pannys remote last thursday-when channel 3 was selected it switched the output on the Tv to just TV not component one- hence all the HD channels were not displaying in HD at all. So when I plopped in a DVd movie (switched to HDMI) and then after the movie I switched to Component 1 input and --of course the HD channels were back! I thought it was just a fluke at the time (it was late) Of course I was stupid not to realize this at first- until yesterday when she did it again but this time she had to fess up and tell me the HD channels weren't working again- so I asked her what she did- then it all made sense. so lesson learned-I told her to stay away from the electronics (only kidding).
Tim

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member

It's not just marketing. In a lot of cases, you *will* get the best picture possible with HDMI. And all things being equal, if you use HDMI or DVI, you keep the signal in the digital realm the whole way, and avoid a potentially signal-degrading D to A and back again conversion.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks