1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

HD broadcasts on 4:3 TV (edited title)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by varn, Nov 18, 2002.

1. varn

varn Auditioning

I have the Toshiba TN50X81 HDTV, using it with a Scientific Atlanta HDTV receiver from my cable company, outputting a 1080i signal.

My TV does not adjust the signal at all,and I was expecting to get the black bars on top/bottom when watching programming that is broadcast in 16:9, but I don't.

The image fills the entire screen, and the people are a bit distorted (taller and thinner) than normal.

Is this normal?

I asked a similar question in the past, and wanted to follow up, but can't find my post.

Thanks.

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

You must have posted the other thread on a different forum, because this post is the only one you have listed at HTF.
    I'm retitling the thread and moving it to Display Devices. The question isn't about The Sopranos, but applies to any HD programming on your set.
    M.

3. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

The TV does not have a 16:9 HDTV mode. It displays HD stretched to 4:3.

You need to let your STB/satellite receiver reformat the image aka down res 10801 to 810i to view in proper geometry.

Or you can implement the vertical squeeze tweak available for your toshiba set ... information at Keohihdtv.

Takes about 4 to 6 hours to get right. Very time intensive, but not too "hard" per se.

Regards

4. varn

varn Auditioning

???

Not sure I understood your reply. The Digital Receiver outputs a 1080i, and my TV takes 1080i, so what is 810i?

I've heard of 720P.

Why is anything being stretched at all? Shouldn't the image just be "as is" being delivered by the HDTV receiver to the TV?

According the the TV Manual:
    "Native progressive scans (480p) and HDTV (1080i) signals are automatically passed though unchanged, ensuring the best possible results from all signal levels"

If I read this correctly, my TV isn't stretching anything.

The vertical squeeze trick will squeze my non-wide screen formatting too, won't it? Making everyone shorter and wider.

Thanks for the help.

5. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Vertical squeeze is only done for HDTV input signal.

There are two convergence grids in the TV memory. One for 1080i, one for 480i/p.

Your set was one of the pre 16:9 squeeze detection sets. Why ? Because your set was one of the pre-detection sets.

4:3 1080i downconverted to fit a 16:9 window is 810i.

just like 480 dvd downconverted to fit 4:3 tv is 360 lines.

Regards