HD antennas - OTA

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joel_Marcus, Dec 4, 2002.

1. Joel_Marcus

Joel_Marcus Auditioning

New to HTF, but love it. Question on antennas (antennae?). I have a Mitsubishi 46805 high-def TV with a Sony HD100 satellite receiver. The HD stuff from HDNet and HBOH looks incredible. I am ready to try getting some over the air high-def signals, and want to go about it the best way. However, I have to consider the WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor), which basically means I can't use a large roof-mounted antenna. I live in the Hartford, Connecticut area. According to one of the antenna web-sites (CEA), I could get by with an antenna in the yellow color code range, but I am perhaps better with a green one to pick up a few more signals. Any opinions on what antenna to use??[​IMG] I've heard good and bad about the Terk TV55. Could that work in an attic if I place it in front of an attic window? Can I connect an antenna to my staellite RG-6 feed to avoid running another line into the house? Any help, comments, ideas are appreciated.
    Thanks

2. Frank_S

Frank_S Supporting Actor

Joel, how far are you from the transmitter, do you know?
    I suggest going to Radio Shack and picking up a Double Bowtie antenna for $15. It is about 12" square. Try using it inside your house. Connect it to your receiver and bring up the signal strength indicator so you or a helper can view the signal strength as you walk about the house. I have heard more positive feedback on the RS Bowtie than the terk. I have owned the RS Double Bowtie for almost 3 years, it works for me and I'm 45 miles from the transmitter. I have Toshiba DST-3000 receiver currently.
    Start small and if it does'nt work, return it, RS has a good return policy.
    You may be able to attach it close to your dish, however, the line of sight to the transmitter may be blocked. Experiment and try different antennas/locations, you'll find something that will work with patience. Good luck! [​IMG]

3. Joel_Marcus

Joel_Marcus Auditioning

Frank -
    thanks. I believe I am within 10 miles of many of the transmitters that I want to pick up. A couple others are probably 30 - 40 miles away. I searched on Radio Shack's website and could not find something called a "double bow tie" antenna. They have a "UHF outline bow tie" for $2.99, but that can't be what you're talking about. How can I tell if an antenna will pick up / handle high def signals??? Some Terk antennas seem to market themselves as HD antennas, but none of the Radio Shack antennas even mention it. Will a UHF/VHF antenna necessarily pick up HD signals (provided it's in the right location)???
    - another query - once I connect an antenna to my sat receiver (Sony HD-100), how do I select channels and test the signal strength. I know how to check the strength of my sat dish signal, but I assume the OTA signals are different.

Thanks again to Frank and anyone else that can help.

4. Frank_S

Frank_S Supporting Actor

5. Brian Schucher

Brian Schucher Supporting Actor

Calling them "HD" antennas is simply marketing. Any regular old antenna will do. The same kind that has been used for years will work just fine. Also, some OTA digital channels are in the VHF band though most are UHF. If you have room in your attic, i would put up the biggest VHF/UHF outdoor antenna you can fit up there. As far running the signal on the same line...yes you can by using diplexors.