HD Antenna

Discussion in 'Displays' started by GabeP, Dec 29, 2004.

1. GabeP

GabeP Stunt Coordinator

ok, as i found out, our vacation home tv is actually hd. A little older but is. We don't want like cable or satellite for hd, but is there an antenna we can get just for hd? link?

2. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    Gabe, could you PLEASE use normal looking print?
    Depending on how far you are from the broadcast towers, you may be able to use an indoor antenna. Some are amplified and some are not. Go to Antennaweb.org and punch in your address.

3. GabeP

GabeP Stunt Coordinator

how do i fix it? I did it and forgot how.

4. Jean D

Jean D Screenwriter

Quote: "How do I fix it?"

Your font? in your user preferances I believe.

5. GabeP

GabeP Stunt Coordinator

6. GabeP

GabeP Stunt Coordinator

also, we have component inputs, but we are just running cable from the wall, to the tv, with the single wire screw thing. How does the hd antenna plug in, if its through component would we have to switch to video 1 to view hd?

7. GabeP

GabeP Stunt Coordinator

anyone have any input?

8. Rocky F

Rocky F Second Unit

Does your TV have a built in HD tuner, or is it just HD ready? That is the first question you have to answer. If it has a tuner, then just get an indoor or outdoor antenna and give it a shot. If not, you'll have to get a set top box HD receiver. The second question is about your location. Where are you in relation to your local stations' towers, and what are they doing in HD? Like Jim said, a good source to find this out is www.antennaweb.org. Go there, enter your address, and it will tell you what stations are available at your address, what type of antenna you need, and which direction to point it. They do distinguish between analog and digital stations, but you may have to check out the websites of the individual stations to find out what they broadcast in HD, as not all digital stations are created equal.
    As far as that antenna goes, I don't know much about that particular one, but Terks are not really highly regarded, IIRC. As far as connecting it, that goes back to the original question about the tv, if it has a built in tuner, the antenna connects directly to the coax antenna in, if not the antenna connects to the HD set top box and then use component outputs to got to the tv.

Hope this helps

9. GabeP

GabeP Stunt Coordinator

10. GabeP

GabeP Stunt Coordinator

11. Rocky F

Rocky F Second Unit

That doesn't have an HD tuner, so you would need to get an STB to receive HD. They are still pretty expensive, cheap ones running about $200. I would still check out your address on wwww.antennaweb.org and see what was available and decide for yourself if the availability is worth the cost. You said this was in a vacation home, so I don't know how much time you spend there, but I'd say just get a good progressive scan DVD player and decent HTiB, and kick back with some good movies.

12. GabeP

GabeP Stunt Coordinator

we have a kenwood system that was like 600 included a dvd player with prog scan, a receiver 5.1 DTS (seperate from DVD), and 5.1 speakers

13. Rocky F

Rocky F Second Unit

That hdtv galaxy list is confusing, it indicates that the tv is HD, but the audio review link doesn't indicate a tuner. I would be suprised if it did have a tuner, but you can always hook up an antenna and see. Just try any indoor amplified antenna, hook it into the coax input and run a channel scan. There should be some indication on the tv inself somewhere whether it has a digital tuner or not. Again, the main thing is to check antenna web, it will tell you what is and isn't available in your area.

Sound like a nice surround sound system, a step or two up above mine in fact. I've got a Kenwood HTiB from about 3 years ago.

14. GabeP

GabeP Stunt Coordinator

at home, we got the harmon kardon, hooked up to polkaudio lsi7 series 5.1- sweet.
    we just redid our whole hometheater.

15. SeanA

SeanA Second Unit

Gabe,

The Terk antenna looks like it may work as well as any other indoor antenna you might find. It is a partial knock-off of the Zenith Silver Sensor (UHF only) antenna, which is considered to be about the best directional indoor UHF antenna you can buy. If not for this knock-off design, I would otherwise stay away from Terk products. The general consensus is that they are more show than go.

You may also want to consider boosting the signal of the indoor antenna with an RF amplifier. This can make the difference of pulling in a station or not. Check Radio Shack, Channel Master, or Channel Plus products.

Finally, it does sound like you need an OTA (Over The Air) HDTV digital tuner. (We are not talking about your Audio/Video receiver). Since you are shopping Circuit City, do a search for the Samsung SIR-T451. The SIR-T451 is the latest digital HD tuner by Samsung. The great thing about digital OTA reception is if you can pull in a digital signal, it is as perfect as can be.

And yes... please fix your font.

16. GabeP

GabeP Stunt Coordinator

i dont know how to fix it

17. DougR

DougR Second Unit

Gabe,

I just PM'd you................