* yellow - uhf WXFT-DT 60.1 TFA AURORA IL 73? 8.9 59
* yellow - uhf WFLD-DT 32.1 FOX Chicago IL 73? 8.8 31
* yellow - uhf WCIU-DT 26.1 IND Chicago IL 73? 8.8 27
* yellow - uhf WCPX-DT 38.1 PAX Chicago IL 73? 8.9 43
* yellow - uhf WGN-DT 9.1 WB CHICAGO IL 73? 8.8 19
* yellow - vhf WBBM-DT 2.1 CBS Chicago IL 66? 10.0 3
* blue - uhf WYIN-DT 17 PBS Gary IN FCC Ext 151? 39.4 17

yellow means small multi-directional antenna

What would be the best Antenna fro me to get?

John S

Senior HTF Member
Indoor or outdoor???

Indoor, I am having great luck with standard powered indoor antennas that do both VHF and UHF....

Eric_Connelly

Second Unit
Robert,

Whats wrong with Terk?

I have one, and its performance is so-so, I'm just wondering what switching to another brand will do for me.

I live about 35-40 miles from the transmitters for the Metro Detroit stations. After some playing around with the Terk Boom antenna I was able to get all channels except 1 and that is just religious programming so no loss there.

However after getting this setup properly within 2 weeks as the weather changed I lost 1 channel completely and another 2 are flaky with my Samsung reciever.

I bought it based on the recommendation of the guy at CC who sold me the TV and reciever. I originally tried the set top antenna wiht power and hardly got anything at all.

I'd like to get something fixed up soon, the wife is tired of the wire running through the house. I have it up above the garage and while I've been playing with it haven't run the wires in the walls yet, waiting to see if it will work up in the garage or I need to move it to the chimney.

Thanks

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I use a Radio Shack Double Bow Tie sitting on my TV. OK performance at 25 miles from the towers. Before the Super Bowl I'm upgrading to a Channel Master 4228 mounted on the roof. It's a 40+ mile fringe antenna but I want to eliminate all signal drop-outs.

-Robert

Jim-L

Auditioning
I noticed you are in Berwyn. I live up in the North Suburbs and am using a Winegard Perfect Vision. It is a roof-top antenna, but it is small compared to the others. In addition to Chicago, I am picking up Wisconsin as well. I didn't get much with an indoor antenna and had to use the roof-top.

By the way, CBS will give you the most problems with reception. Once you pick that one up, the rest are no problem.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I have the same situation where 1 of the HDTV channels is VHF (NBC is on 10-3) while the rest were UHF, and I wound up using a UFH (Radio Shack Double Bowtie antenna), and an old VHF (telescopic antennae) connected via a splitter/combiner and fed into a small antenna amplifier to get all of the available HDTV channels in my area.

Omard.

Stunt Coordinator

Is your Channel Master 4228 the 8-Bay Bowtie UHF Antenna or the Channel Master CM4248 UHF Quantum YAGI Antenna?

SeanA

Second Unit
Robert or Patrick,

What is the model # of the Radio Shack double bow-tie antenna you both mention ???

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This is the one I'm getting. I'll try an attic mount first. If that doesn't work, it will be a roof mount with a pre-amp.

-Robert

CuZ06

Agent
Real Name
JC
Where I bought my HD Mitsubishi, they are recommending one called the Xium Air antenna. The manager of the store used one in his house and its the best one he has ever used. I ordered mine and hope to God I can get this thing in before the SuperBowl....:)

John S

Senior HTF Member
I wish you luck on getting it all going by the Super Bowl.

You will be rewarded for your efforts though. HD NFL is really great.

Hank_P

Second Unit
Quick story about the RS Double bowtie and the Channel Master 4228 I tried. I had the RS and thought "hey, bigger is better", I have a chance to go to the Channel Master and purchased it hoping to pick up a distance channel that I could get so-so but wasn't really concerned about (just needed a good excuse).

Long story short after climbing into the attic many times... the RS blew away the Channel Master (and a Silver Sensor). Not only could I not get the channel I was shooting for, but I lost a couple close ones. I have two OTA STB for HD, and the second RS bowtie has been ordered (suppose to ship 1/26). I couldn't believe the big guy couldn't hang with the little RS.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That's one of the Radio Shack antennas that probably won't work. You want an antenna to look like an antenna. Like this.

I use this one sitting on top of my TV. It works OK since I'm 25 miles from the broadcast antennas. The 4228 I mentioned earlier is just larger version of the RS model.

-Robert

Norris

Stunt Coordinator
OK I went to antennaweb.org like Omard did and got a listing similar to his for my area. I then clicked on "View Street Level Map" and opened up another screen showing the local streets. What I don't understand are all the black lines pointing to different channel numbers. What do they mean? How do I know how far I am from the broadcasting stations to help me with selecting an antenna? Also, if all my stations of interest fall in the yellow group, then all I need is a "small multi directional" antenna right?

John S

Senior HTF Member
Hmm, that RS antenna might work well. I do use one of their older nicer indoor powered indoor UHF/VHF antennea.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks