What's new

HD and the PTL300U (1 Viewer)

DarrinH

Second Unit
This pj has half of the resolution of HD (did I say that right)?
Meaning if I have Direct TVHD going into this pj by DVI it has to downscale the picture to display on the screen?
This pj does have DVI correct?
My future sat receiver will have DVI.

I am shakey on this and I am trying to put things in order for a future HD system.

Where I am at there is no and will never be OTA HD (pretty safe to say). So my only option is Direct TV HD.
I know I will need the oval dish, extra LNB's and a receiver.
I have a Sony XBR400 which will accept 1080i, 480p?, 720p?
So I can use my tv before I get a pj.

Brian Schucher

Supporting Actor
Well the 300 does indeed have a DVI port but its not going to help you with a STB. The DVI on the 300 is NOT HDCP compiant. The PJ will scale whatever you put itno it to its native resolution which is referred to as 1/4 HD. Half the horizontal and half the vertical.. You can send the 720p or 1080I signal from a STB to the 300 via component inputs though..

DarrinH

Second Unit
So the scale is a scale down in total number of pixels, right?
The 1/4 HD helps what, the appearance of the picture?
I mean whats the advantage to this vs say 33% HD?
Good to know about the component connection, those cables are easier to make for a long run.:)

Brian Schucher

Supporting Actor
My understanding is that its much easier for the sclaer in the 300U to scale equally in half..than to some oher resolution..

Brian Schucher

Supporting Actor
Its excellent. To be totally honest with you, I dont see any difference between it and my Toshiba 65HX81 RPTV which does 1080i natively. I havent been able to hook them both up at the same time since i only have one HD STB (DST3000) but from memory it looks no worse... My only issue with it is that when fed the 1080i signal from my STB i get a very small 1-2" border around the entire image. There is a thread about this over on AVS and I dont think anyone has come up with why its there..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks