What's new

HD and Home Theater Confused! (1 Viewer)

JeffreyG

Agent
OK...so I took the plunge into HD and I am neck deep into it. Let's say I had an incredible Christmas. Here is my equipment:

Panasonic TH-50PX600U (Thanks to my wife)
Sony Playstation 3 (Thanks to my Dad!)
Integra DTR-503 Reciever (had for a couple of years)

Now here is my question...will my reciever work for this set up since I don't believe it has HDMI in/out? Both the Playstation and Panasonic have HDMI. Do I need to go out and get a newer Reciever? Or can I hook up the HDMI for the playstation directly to the TV for picture and then hook up the digital out of the playstation to the reciever for audio?

Please help light the way. If I have to get a new reciever that handles HDMI, if you have any suggestions on a good, but reasonable model (I have about $300 in Best Buy Bucks!) that would be great!

Thanks!

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

You can hook up the HDMI to the TV and the digital audio out to the receiver no problem. The only reason to have HDMI in the receiver is to allow for source switching at the receiver and/or to be able to route all HDMI sources into a single HDMI in on the TV. If you have enough HDMI ins on the TV, you are set for a while even though your receiver has no HDMI.

JeffreyG

Agent
Thanks. The TV has 2 HDMI inputs on the back. I noticed the Playstation has an HDMI out and a Digital Optical out, but no Component out, so was a little worried.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks