What's new

HD-A2 Question/Problem (1 Viewer)

Mark_TB

Second Unit
I hope someone more knowledgable than myself can help me with this problem. I picked up an HD-A2 earlier this week and have been enjoying it very much. However, I have noticed that sometimes when I'm watching an upconverted SD, I get a strange effect. Every once in a while, during a cut from one shot to another, I get a flash of what looks like the interlacing of the two images.

Do I have something set improperly? I have noticed this while watching a Star Trek:TNG disc as well as Doctor Who Series 2. (I think both of those are interlaced rather than progressive, if that makes any difference.) I have the player connected to a Sony 34XBR960 using the HDMI connection.

Any help would be appreciated, of course.

Mark

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
Mark,

I have been experiencing the same problem, primarily with non-anamorphic material. I even mentioned it in my review for the first season of Beauty and the Beast.

I have no solution to provide, sadly. I have gotten used to it, but that doesn't mean I'm happy with it.

Mark_TB

Second Unit

Well, Justin, I think I may have found the solution for this problem. Normally, the picture mode on my player is set to "Auto," but when I was encountering this problem today I tried changing the picture mode setting to "Video" and the problem seemed to disappear.

I'm guessing that the player has trouble differentiating between some film and video content, though I don't know why. I've only come across this with TV shows on DVD, FWIW. I'm sure someone far smarter than me can figure out exactly why this happens.

Mark

Rhoq

Supporting Actor
It happens, mostly with "TV on DVD" - but anything sourced from video, really. From what I have read, the A2 has a hard time with content sourced from video which had been improperly flagged as such during authoring. Fox appears to be the biggest offender and setting the source to "video" won't always correct the problem. It's distracting, but not a huge problem to me since the player still kicks ass the rest of the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks