What's new

HD-A1 - Severe Buyer's Remorse (1 Viewer)

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
bob kaplan
Reading all this takes me back to 1980 when i purchased my first Pioneer VP 1000 LaserDisc machine...Actually had to take it back (or send it to Pioneer) three times to get one that work...and then the problems with the DiscoVision discs!!!...ugh! And then the competition with CED and tape...Anyway i stuck with with it and eventually became quite satisfied with the sytem until the advent of DVD. It was a nitch product for sure, and i doubt if HD will survive that way...but i was glad i stuck it out. Is there a moral here...not sure. But i do know i don't have the fortitude to be an early adaptor anymore!!...hope i am not off topic.

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor
As an employee of Best Buy, none of the "refusing to sell" or "sending them back" stuff is true. The Toshiba was displayed prominently until the BD player came out. After an equal amount of time, it too will be relegated to the "Video Players Technology" planogram in the store. As a matter of fact, there should be a tag for the Samsung there now with a sign saying "Check it out" on the endcap. This is where my major gripe with the company lies: They want more part timers than ever simply because they don't pay benefits. Those part-timers are the ones you and everyone at the AVSForum talk to and they don't give two-sh**s about anything and the company sure as he** isn't going to train them any better. When I started, I was quickly named a "guru" simply because I read other periodicals and sites for information and didn't depend on some idiot manager to fill me in on the "latest" and the "greatest.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Did you import yours? So far, the cheapest price I could see was the Best Buy Online price: $650 dollars, after a 50 dollar rebate. London Drugs wanted 700. I calculated a price of $503 before taxes and shipping if a person could import one from the states. I don't know if that is possible and going that route does incur some risks due to the player being first gen. tech.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

The best on line BB price in Canada was $594 ... on one of their early bird sales. They have these about once every 10 days or so. The product category rotates daily.

My $450 line is in amerispeak. US pricing based on what some people find it priced at.

Warranty in Canada is 12 months P/L while only 90 days L in the US. One buys the stuff and takes their chances. Don't forget $50 to 80 shipping from US.

Regards

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm still debating buying one. 600 to 700 sounds like a lot but really isn't considering what you are getting for the money. I paid 66O for a CED player in the 80s. I still wonder what I was thinking when I bought it: probably that it was considerably cheaper than a laserdisc player. Guess that proves that cheap doesn't always win. :)

Of course, if I do buy one that may not bode well for HD DVD boosters. I seem to be quite good at picking the loser when I buy into a format early....[cough] Betamax, CED[/cough]. Sounds like the player would make a first rate CD player, even if the HD side fades away.

Edit: I have to ask again. Was Toshiba's original offer on the 57HX81 limited to the States or did it cover sets sold in Canada?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

For dual players to happen, Sony would have to agree. If what you
say above is true, I don't think Sony would opt for dual-compatability
if the studios will pick HD-DVD over Blu-Ray.

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
I paid more for my original dvd player, then I did for my HD-DVD player. Im sure most of the early dvd adopters on this forum did as well. At this point there will be no unified format. Its too late since both have been released. Enjoy the HD content

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Scott, I understand where you are coming from. I tend to expect perfection on anything I buy, and have a short trigger when it comes to getting resolution. That is why, after one freeze and lockup too many, I took my Day One HD DVD player back to Best Buy for an exchange, rather than call Toshiba or wait for a firmware update. But keep in mind that Toshiba continues to address pixilization and freeze issues with the 1.4 update released yesterday (and, frankly in my book impresses with the commitment to getting updates out to the consumer).

By the way, my Day 30 player has been flawless. At least one other here has even gotten a Day One player that was flawless. (Actually, like me, it was the weekend prior to Day One.) So there are indeed good players to be had.

As Jeremy has pointed out, you can't believe the reports on the net regarding how stores are treating HD DVD. You have to see it for yourself. While it is true that Blu Ray has the endcap display and this week's ad, HD DVD is still around the corner at two Best Buy's I've seen. And in one case, the HD DVD player was hooked up to a gorgeous 73-inch Mits (that made me drool).

Political positioning between two Japanese conglomerates does not phase me. Since Sony is not entering the market until October (August?) you can bet they will not be listening to Toshiba's overtures. But companies with everything to gain (Denon, Samsung, Panasonic, Pioneer, etc.) are certain to listen in the future. Samsung has already been talking about universal HD players, and Denon has a history of universal DVD Audio / SACD players. They will come, and it will not be an act of desperation, rather a response to consumer demand.

I have not noticed any titles being cancelled, although Amazon's availability has been frustrating, especially since they have the best price with their 10 percent extra HD DVD discount. Okay, so I waited a couple of weeks for Syriana and Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, but I still have other discs to watch. And Netflix seems to have everything on HD DVD if rentals are your thing.

Ron, I know how it feels to see mixed messages on forums regarding something you are about to purchase, and I am definitely proof positive that the initial experience with Toshiba was not perfect. But it has been good since then. The player is rock-solid, the picture is amazing, and when RAH's findings come to pass, we are in for some real treats as the year progresses (the thought of Singin' in the Rain with a new Ultra Resolution transfer in HD is cause for celebration).

Above all, I think it is important to take a stand on optical high definition technology. Blu Ray has significant hurdles, not the least of which is a ridiculous entry price. HD DVD now has a proven track record, as well as a company that has been reacting quickly to requests for support.

As for Sony... remember, they eventually even manufactured VHS VCR's. I'll grant you, I never saw a Beta/VHS dual deck, though. :)

Have fun!

- Steve

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Steve,

Very good post. Thank You!

I'm patiently awaiting the arrival of my Toshiba. The reports
are true -- these players are hard to come by. It may be up to
another two weeks until I have the player in my hand.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I'm in pretty much the same spot as Steve; my Day One player (2/06 build date) was very buggy and I took it back to Best Buy and swapped it on day 30 for one (4/06 build) that has worked without any problems whatsoever for the last month, even without doing the 1.2 firmware update. I'd take it back and try another one, unless the 1.4 firmware gets to you before your 30 days are up and it smooths out your problems. Since it's defective, they shouldn't give you any trouble.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Interesting on the build date vr bugs comments. My player is a 02/06 build and it has been, and still is, bug free (I've done the firmware upgrades anyway).

My only problem was the loose HDMI connection at the back of the player that was causing video drops.

Paul Borges

Stunt Coordinator
I really think there is no major negative of buying HD-DVD now. And I'm not saying that cause I hate Sony or love Toshiba!

I think this format war is going to last at least a few years. X-Box360 is supporting HD-DVD, PS3 is Blu-Ray. Both are popular systems. I'm not gonna drive myself nuts trying to figure out which will win... I'll just buy both eventually anyways and enjoy the movies.

If one wins over the other, then I won't care cause I'll already have both systems and can play my movies.

And I don't think it will be a problem that I will have to rebuy my collection for the format that loses cause I believe future generations of players will have backward compatibility support. I don't think Sony or Toshiba will stop universal players if someone is a clear loser in this war. There would be no point in that, except alienation of the consumer.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I have a day one player, no flaws playing discs at all. I did install the new firmware, and everything is still ok.

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
Ok, I returned my player to Best Buy and exchanged for another, the last one in the store. Got it home, hooked it up, same issue with the audio. Are you people really not hearing this or are you guys just not watching the special features (or any alternate audio track)?

Maybe it's my reciever. I have a Sony STR model purchased about 7 years ago, back when DTS was still pretty expensive. I wonder if it has something to do with the older processor. Sounds like a really bad MP3 downloaded over the net, only worse. The thing is, I can still hear the issue, though much more subtly over HDMI through the TV speakers.

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
I have a older reciever and hear no problem with the sound at all. Ive checked out multiple sound tracks and extras as well

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I'm watching the special features, and also using coax just as you are, and I'm having none of the difficulties you describe. Maybe try calling Toshiba Customer Svc?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I dont have a big problem with HD-DVD, tho I think Bluray will eventually steamroll it pretty well. That said, I bought an HD-A1 and had a lot of trouble with it that was mostly fixed by the 1.3 patch. Still, the 40 second startup time and the remote both royally suck. As soon as there is a better alternative you can be that my A1 is being Ebayed as quiclly as possible. It simply is not a good example of what the format is capable of.

Sam

Travis Hedger

Supporting Actor
I am still on the original firmware on my unit, with 0 problems, and using a Harmony 360 remote. Watched Serenity again the other night and had a blast with friends who enjoyed it as well.

My receiver is an old Pioneer VSX-D608 and I am using the 5.1 analog inputs, I got the receiver in 1999. Have not had any sound related issues at all.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
The long start up time is not a big deal to me. It takes almost as long for my Sanyo Z3 to turn on. So I have to wait no matter what. As for the remote, my Harmony 628 resolved that issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks