HD-A1 on Sony 720p LCD

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by rodney_g, Aug 2, 2006.

1. rodney_g

rodney_g Extra

Folks,

I am trying to convince a friend about the HD-A1. No, I don't own one, but I saw it in action at BestBuy on a Westinghouse LCD and was amazed.

My friend has a Sony forty-something-inch, 1280x720 native resolution LCD display. It has HDMI. I do not know the model number.

He should see huge improvements when watching a HD DVD release through HDMI compared to the way he watches SD DVD now, which is through component on some cheap-brand-Wal-Mart-bought VCR/DVD player combo, right?

Thanks,
    Rodney

2. Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio Screenwriter

HDMI or component doesn't make that much difference. The added resolution will. Not as much as on 1080 display but it's still very obvious.

3. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan

Sean
    Just be sure that if an HD-A1 is hooked up to his set it is set to 1080i and not 720p. The A1 does not do a good job at scaling down to 720p, and the resulting picture is very soft. 1080i output is the way to go with this player regardless of the resolution of the display (1080 or 720).

Keep in mind that a 720p monitor can only display half the pixel information from the 1080 source, but the picture should still look excellent and much better than DVD.

4. rodney_g

rodney_g Extra

Thank you both!

5. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

It's kind of confusing and counterintuitive, but yes, the output must be set according to the disc content, NOT your set's display capability. All HD DVDs so far are 1080 so you can just set the A1 to 1080 and forget it. DO NOT set it to 720, or yes, it will look like standard DVD. Apparently it downscales to 480, then upconverts to 720. The result is pretty much the same as a 480 standard DVD, which is not the goal.