HD-A1 not passing below black?

Robert Burkes

Second Unit
I purchased the A1 a couple of nights ago and have been fairly impressed. However, I just sat down to calibrate with the DVE SD-DVD, and the player won't pass below black. Anyone else noticed this with his/her player? Thanks.
Rob

Edit: Using HDMI directly to TV

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
Did you adjust the brightness on the tv, what kind of TV do you have?

Robert Burkes

Second Unit
I've adjusted the brightness and switched between on/off for the enhanced black feature of the A1. It will not pass BTB. I have a Sony 34XS955 34" widescreen direct-view TV. I've found a few mentions of BTB issues via HDMI (not display specific), but not nearly the number I would expect if this were a wide-spread issue. Any ideas? Thanks for any help.

Jim Douglas

Second Unit
I'm having the same problem after upgrading to firmware v2.0. My setup is a Pioneer Elite 630HD using HDMI>DVI. I've read this is a known bug in firmware v2.0. Since the upgrade mine has a really washed out look and no detail in blacks. I've adjusted eveything you can adjust and it doesn't help. I'll try component this weekend because I heard the bug is not there over component but I hate to give up on upscaling of SD-DVD's.

Hopefully Toshiba will correct this in the next firmware release.

Jim

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
How did you set the black level in the Picture part of the Settings? IRE 7.5 or IRE 0? (Is this what you refer to as the 'enhanced black feature', Robert?)

As far as I know, IRE 7.5 is default on this player (and it used to be the norm once). IMO it should be set to 0.
With this setting, I haven't seen any problems yet, but perhaps I'm compensating in my display. I have been using component as well as HDMI (-> DVI), but currently only up to 720p.

Cees

Robert Burkes

Second Unit
Cees,

I've read that the "enhanced black level" setting does indeed refer to IRE. However, I have no idea what setting (on/off) corresponds to what (7.5/0). I tried both settings, going directly to an HDMI input on a TV with a native resolution of 1080i. Have you used DVE on your player and found it to pass BTB? Thanks for your help.

Rob

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Rob,

No. I ordered the new Digital Video Essentials for HD, but it didn't arrive yet. And I didn't use my old one.
For the moment I'm using a DELL monitor (until my new TV set and projector arrive) and perhaps the monitor has more room for adjustment.

BTW, there was a post, somewhere, that loading a new firmware file may reset one or two of the settings. I don't recall which ones, but you may want to check them anyway, just to be sure.

Cees

PS: According to the manual (page 52), "On" = 0 IRE, and "Off" = 7.5 IRE.
C.

I have recently upgraded to Firmware v2.0 and now my picture via the HDMI output looks washed out and seems to have less detail. Is there a problem with v2.0 or am I imagining things? The HD discs now look only slightly better than SD discs.

SherardP

Stunt Coordinator
I did the upgrade it only improved things, not sure how your pic is washed out, any video settings change in the player or your display?

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Gregory, was the IRE-setting (see above) reset by the upgrade, perhaps?

Cees

I believe that when I initially set up the player (when it was v1.4) the Enhanced Black Level setting was set to off as it is now. I'm a bit confused by this setting; my understanding is that setting it to off is preferred because it will produce dark images more accurately while setting it to on will artificially boost dark images. My set is a JVC LCoS D-ILA that has been ISF-calibrated. Can someone shed some light (no pun intended) on this Enhanced Black Level setting?

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
According to the manual, the difference is the setting of the IRE. "Off" means at level 7.5 (which used to be the standard), while "on" means IRE=0.
There's nothing artificial about that, HD material is best viewed with IRE = 0, I think. But I seem to remember there's not much or no difference when using the HDMI connection (IRE affecting the analog connections only), so it may be not-applicable after all - if that's what you're using.

If your system is ISF-calibrated, you may want to contact your ISF-person to consult him/her about the new HD addition.
(Some of our members are ISF-consultants too. Send a PM to Gregg Loewen or Michael TLV!)

Cees

dkny75

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Danny
I was under the impression that the enhanced black level option made no difference if you are connected over HDMI. You might want to just recheck your settings because everytime I upgraded my firmware, the settings change.

Ron Z

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ron Z
Is this below black problem only for HDMI and not component?

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
That's unclear. Some people with HDMI report it, others don't.

I guess, though, if your setup was calibrated before you started to use HDMI, you may have to re-calibrate it (or not?) if you start using that connection. I think we need the expertise of an ISF-consultant to answer that question (and perhaps a few related ones
).

Cees

Cypher204

Auditioning
Real Name
Aaron Del Monte
Hi everyone,

I've upgraded to version 2.0 recently as well and too notice the picture is not as sharp as it was when first bought. Everything I'm using is listed under my theatre below. Cees, any help would be great, thanks.

Aaron

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Problem is: I don't see it on my setup. I upgraded to V2.0 almost right away and I just adjusted my DELL monitor (which is my temporary display) to get the most beautiful image.

Could you change the contrast and brightness on your projector (and do you feel comfortable doing so)? In that case, try to get some of the lost blacks back by adjusting the projector. Just be careful not to do something unrepairable.
(You may want to order the new Digital Video Essentials on HD DVD, to be released on Nov, 14th). That disc is great for calibrating your audio too.

If this appears to be a real problem of Version 2.0, I'm pretty sure that it will be resolved in an upcoming update, possibly the next version 2.1 that's rumoured to appear rather soon.

If you want an official ISF-calibration (
), contact one of the two members I mentioned in my post above. But if you do that you should first be sure, IMO, that the black settings of the player won't change again in a new update. (Chances are, Gregg and Michael know all about that, or can find it out for you.)

Cees

Cypher204

Auditioning
Real Name
Aaron Del Monte
Hi Cees

Ya I've already tried adjusting the contrast and brightness on the projector but it still doesn't give me that detail I first had. Like some one said in the last posts, the HD titles look only just a little better than standard DVD. Colors are great, just everything seems to have a soft blur to it. Also from the beginning my video has been stretched from top to bottom. Not a huge stretch but enough to notice that the picture looks funny. People seem tall and thin. Not prober aspect ratio. I thought this was weird because both units (HD DVD player + projector) are toshiba, thought they would work great together. I have no stretch problem with my Sony (HDMI) upconverting DVD player. It's outputting the same signal: 1080i. I know this isn't the right thread for this issue. But I figure maybe you could help since we've been already talking. I've had the player since August and still haven't got this worked out. I've called up toshiba and they don't know what I'm talking about. Any help would be greatly appreciated . So far I'm a huge fan of HD DVD but still have yet to experience it in my own home. Thanks again

Aaron.

tknapp

Agent
Real Name
Tim Knapp
I am considering purchasing the A1. If v2.0 is degrading the picture quality as some are saying, do we have to upgrade to 2.0 or can we upgrade to say the version just before 2.0 until 2.x comes out that fixs things? This thread has me hesitating now.

Tim

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Tim,

If indeed the A1 is somehow degrading the output on a DVI - as some are saying - you can bet it will be corrected in a further firmware upgrade. The next upgrade (2.1?) is expected by some people to be close at hand.

As I said above: I am using a HDMI -> DVI cable to feed the image into a DELL monitor, and I don't see the degradation.

Aaron,

I would love to help you, but in this case (the soft colour blur), I can't. I simply don't see the same problem on my setup.

Your other problem (the distorted image) should be dealt with in the other thread. I'm very willing to help you by doing exactly the same on my own display (with different inputs and resolutions) as you, and comparing our findings.
There's one catch: my wife and I are going on a short vacation tomorrow and I'm not really back with web-access until december 3rd.
(But if you still want it: I'm available for the exercise then!
)

Cees

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pulinejrom