HD-A1, HD-D1, and RCA HD-DVD players

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Seth=L, Sep 6, 2006.

1. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

Cnet says the HD-A1 and the HD-D1 are the same except for cosmetic differences. This is likely to be true. However the HD-D1 looks more like the RCA. Is it possible that Toshiba made the RCA as well. It is sick how much Wal-mart can influence companies to change their products to look like the everyman item. They dumbed the player down in appearance.

2. rodney_g

rodney_g Extra

from what I've read here and elsewhere, the HD-A1 and RCA HDV5000 are the exact same player with different outward appearances (if you open them up they are the same). They're both Toshiba-made.

3. JeffdDurborow

Yeah the "GUTS" are the same with HD-A1 and the RCA but keep in mind that the Brand You buy is who you will deal with for customer service and firmware updates to my knowledge..

they are both fantastic pieces of HT - equipment!!!

4. Hayes Preston

Hayes Preston Stunt Coordinator

5. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

The thing I found that was interesting was the HD-D1. It looks almost exaclty like the RCA in every way exept it is solid black and says Toshiba on it. The HD-A1 has round buttons and is sold at places that are certified Toshiba dealers. The HD-D1 and the RCA have square buttons and are sold exclusively by Wal-Mart. What amazed me is that Wal-Mart has altered the appearance of the player to make it seem simple. Most people who shop at Wal-Mart to buy their electronics still consider RCA a trusted name in audio/video. I wouldn't expect the HD-D1 to outsell the RCA at Wal-Mart. It seems silly that there are 4 players that are virtually exactly the same and that is all that there is available in the market.

On the offbeat, the Samsung Blu-Ray player dropped it's price to $879.99 at Circuit City. I'm not sure if it has dropped at Best Buy yet.

6. DavidJ

DavidJ Producer
    Supporter

David
    Having owned both a HD-A1 and the RCA, I can say that they are in fact...

(pause for effect)

the same as previously discussed. I do however think the Toshiba looks better and I am just so glad that I do not have the RCA's giant red "look at me! I'm plugged in!" light anymore. The remotes are a wash in my oprinion and with the Toshiba's you feel like it is the 80s all over again. As mentioned, RCA does run behind with the updates.

7. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

That made me laugh out loud, reminded me of my dad.

8. ppltd

ppltd Producer

I have to believe that Wal-Mart forced the cosmetic changes to satisfy their customer base. IMHO, I wish them the best. If it works, it may help getting HD a more firm foothold in the marketplace. One can hope at least.

Thomas Eisenmann

9. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

I suppose that could be one positive outcome. It just annoys me that they have 4 virtually identical players aside from minor cosmetic differences, and that is all they have.