HD-931 - No Dolby Digital, only Prologic II

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Shane Morales, Dec 25, 2003.

1. Shane Morales

Shane Morales Second Unit

DVD Player: Samsung DVD HD-931
    Reciever: Denon 3803
    Connection: Digital Coax

This a weird thing. My receiver doesn't recognize when my HD-931 is running Dolby Digital 5.1. It sets itself to Prologic II and won't even give an option for Dolby Digital. If the DVD player is running a DTS soundtrack then the receiver will detect that and switch to DTS.

If I play the same movie with Dolby Digital 5.1 on my other DVD player (hooked up to the reciever with optical) the receiver detects the Dolby Digital right away. Same with DTS. No problem.

I can't figure it out. Not the receiver because it works fine with another DVD player. Not the cable because it works fine with DTS. I don't know about the DVD player, though. If it were busted then wouldn't it just not play any sound at all under Dolby Digital?

Any ideas?

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Do you have the DVD player's audio output set to PCM or bitstream? Bitstream will output the DD5.1 audio through the digital audio output. PCM will send out the 2-channel (or DPL) audio through the digital audio output.

3. Mike Capulli

Mike Capulli Stunt Coordinator

when I had the 931 the DD worked fine via optical. It was just constantly out of sync which is why I returned it.

4. Shane Morales

Shane Morales Second Unit

Patrick,

Thanks, that was it. It was set to PCM. Changed it to Bitstream and it's working fine now.