HBO's "The Wire" 6/30

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Kane, Jul 1, 2002.

1. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

This week's script writers take a run at how many times the "niggah" word can be used consecutively in a scene. It's in the context of one Project guy referring to others, mildly derogatorily, I thought.

These cops are no Barney Miller types f'sure. I wasn't put off seeing the over-the-hill cop, who's looking for an easy way out on Disability, swigging from a booze pint in the squad's workplace. But then we see McNulty, the "hero," swigging from his Scotch pint at home, while trying to assemble a bunk bed for his boys. There's alcoholism here, all right.

Then, these cops routinely are shown beating up on their "subjects," even a mouthy 16-year-old.

Finally, we start to see what "The Wire" reference might be all about. The episode shows how the cops take a judge's writ or order to electronically "wiretap" a fone pager to monitor someone else's call numbers and the duration.

You can't take a midshow break with this one -- scenes cut so quickly among the plotlines that it would be easy to miss something.

2. Paul Jenkins

Paul Jenkins Supporting Actor

I liked the code the drug people use for the phone numbers, something easy that doesn't need math [​IMG]
    Another great episode last night, the last 3 have been stellar, imo, and now I'm hooked to say the least

3. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Screenwriter

I love the two partners(the white&black guys) and how they think of all these ways to break a case open and it back fires everytime.

I knew when they tried to play good cop, bad cop, it was going to turn out bad.

4. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

The scene with McNulty and his partners investigating the old homicide was a riot. They're talking the whole time, and every word is a variation of "fuck". I'd love to see the outtakes; what does someone say when they blow it -- "gosh darn"? [​IMG]
    Dominic West does a great American accent. It took me four episodes to recognize him as the same actor I saw last year in a Broadway production of a quintessentially British play, Design for Living.
    M.

5. David Paymer

David Paymer Stunt Coordinator

David Paymer
    Good episode this week. It's getting interesting.

6. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Here's a link to a Salon.com story and interview with ex-reporter and show writer David Simon