What's new

HBO's 'The Mind of the Marrying Man', the next 'Dream On'? (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Did anybody else catch this very funny show tonight? I love shows that feature frank and open dialogue like this show has, and even though it's a new show, I think it could be a huge success for HBO just like 'Dream On'. The writing, and acting were all great. I'm not gonna miss an episode, i'm on the edge of my seat, I wanna know if Micky's gonna screw his secretary! I'm not married or even involved with anyone right now, but I probably would have at least one go with that hot young thing! BTW, who the hell is she!?!
yum.gif

------------------
God bless the USA and the men and woman of our military and their families!
[Edited last by John Williamson on September 24, 2001 at 04:07 AM]

CameronS

Supporting Actor
Yes, I had never heard of the show before I watched the first episode tonight. I really enjoyed it. The main charater is very easy to relate to. The things he does and thinks about are so "guy".
------------------
campic07.jpg

The HTF Lowest Post Champion!

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
Er, I'm a little confused here. This is supposed to be the world premiere, right?
Then how come I saw this last week, along with the season premiere of Curb Your Enthusiasm? Was it a glitch in the program schedule? Inquiring minds (specifically mine) want to know.
Either way, seems to be a good show. By the way, Dream On is pretty different. That show was mostly a bunch of T&A and lame fantasy segments (not that there's anything wrong with that :) ); this show seems to focus on relationships in a mature way.
------------------
Have you ever noticed anyone driving slower than you is an idiot? And anyone driving faster than you is a maniac!! - George Carlin
ICQ: 55259446 (or just search for "John Shaft"...can you dig?)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Was it a glitch in the program schedule? Inquiring minds (specifically mine) want to know.
Yes, it was supposed to premiere last Sunday, but HBO decided to hold both Married Man and Curb Your Enthusiasm for one week. I'm not sure why, but all of the broadcast schedules have been in such a state of flux that I wasn't surprised when these two got bumped (I think a repeat episode of Band of Brothers played in their place).
They left what should have been the midweek repeat in place; I guess that made it a "sneak preview". :)
M.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Well what I meant was, I guess, is that this guy Micky is very Martin Tupperish, if I may say so, and it has those funny daydream sequences like 'DO' had. At the very least, it's a good counter show to 'Sex and the City', it shows OUR side of things. Your right though, this show is more mature than 'Dream On', plus that secretary of his is certainly NOT Tobey! I ask again, who is that actress, what has she done before?
I also loved the line when one of his friends says..."If they saw what we see, and they know how we really are, they'll just give us 500 dollars, and say they'll just meet us in Vegas." regarding watching the birth of a baby. Also, when his boss is chewing him out for firing his secretary because he can't concentrate, his boss says... "If I was gonna fire every girl in this office I wanted to bang, it would only be me and you left."
laugh.gif

------------------
[Edited last by John Williamson on September 24, 2001 at 04:12 AM]

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Never mind guys, I got her name at HBO.com it's Ivana Milicevic. Man she's sweet!
Also, if one of the mods could be good enough to change the word 'Marrying' to 'Married' in my topic header, i'd appreciate it. I must have been subconciously been thinking about that ridiculous Alec Baldwin and Kim Basinger movie 'The Marrying Man'!?
crazy.gif

------------------
[Edited last by John Williamson on September 24, 2001 at 03:08 AM]

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
Last night was the "premiere" but actually HBO had already showed it as a "sneak preview" last Tuesday night, or maybe it was the Tuesday before that.
------------------
--Wayne Bundrick

Jodee

Screenwriter
Maybe this show is a guy thing, but I didn't like it much at all. Not one character was likeable and the only funny thing I saw was the anal sex conversation.
I kept thinking what a jerk this guy was. It's a little disheartening that so many males here seem to identify with him.
frown.gif

I would think a man who was married would love his wife enough not to want to bang every woman he meets. Geez, why did someone like him get married in the first place? It's not like his wife is a troll or anything either. And the to fire his secretary because he had the hots for her?
I guess I just don't understand. My husband didn't either. Thankfully this show does not represent all married men.
The show should be called "The Mind of the Unhappily Married Man."

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
My wife had the same reaction, Jodee. She has no interest in watching further episodes. I'll give it another one or two to see how it develops, but I wasn't wowed.
M.

Jim Benard

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
quote: I guess I just don't understand. My husband didn't either. [/quote]
That's the whole point of the show. How many guys out there believe your husband didn't understand? If he did he sure would never tell you, in my honest opinion of course.
While the show might be a little over the top it hits many true points of what happens when guys get together and talk.
HBO might have delayed this because of the shots of the Twin Towers in the background. It was errie seeing them.
[Edited last by Jim Benard on September 24, 2001 at 12:15 PM]

Hahahwaha! A woman gets fired because her boss can't concentrate!! Bwahahahah!!! How funny... how... irritatingly sexist.
When such a thing happens in real life, it isn't very funny to me. When such a thing is put on a television screen, it doesn't become any more humorous.
There seems to be a general sentiment that we -- males -- finally have a show for us. Is each medium of entertainment -- music, books, movies, television -- geared toward females?
If he did he sure would never tell you, in my honest opinion of course.
This is an instance where an opinion is wrong. My wife saw how I reacted to the show. It wasn't very positive.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks