HBO's "Tales from the Crypt"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Allred, Feb 15, 2003.

1. Michael Allred

Michael Allred Screenwriter

Michael
    I wonder why this highly enjoyable HBO series has yet to be released on DVD in season sets. Man there are some KICK ASS episodes with a lot of big name talent either starring in or directing episodes. My favorite starred Morton Downey Jr. as a jerk off TV show host (what a stretch!) where he broadcast live from a haunted house (I believe it was a retirement home and the old lady that ran the place killed off the residents for their social security checks.) Great atmosphere and yeah, definitely creepy stuff!

I'm assuming the rights belong to HBO Home Video but I could be way off. Robert Zemeckis was 1 of the "name" producers of the series, perhaps he'll look into a DVD release of the series some day.

Any other HTF guys and ghouls interested in season sets?

2. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

I would kill for season sets of this. I think there would be tons of rights issues though...kinda like what is holding up quantum leap. This show was so good. Too many classic eps.

3. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

Hell yes! I'd buy remastered season sets in a second! My favourite starred Tim Roth as a starving artist who begins to paint macabre portraits for a millionaire.

4. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Zemeckis doesn't have to worry...his TftC episodes are already represented on DVD, and have been since Sept. 7, 1999 (four days before I bought my first player!):

[​IMG]

I see this all the time at Best Buy, Circuit City, and Borders. It lists for $14.98 these days. I finally bought it myself for $7.88 at Wal-Mart in their bargain bin this past January, though I haven't watched it yet. Sticking it in for a quick-test to make sure it worked, I would say the a/v quality is decent enough, but that was less than five minutes.

As for the rest of the series, I would venture to guess that the disc I'm talking about didn't sell so darn bloody well that HBO decided it would be worth their effort to put season sets together. Especially considering that they might have to pursue some digital rights with the different artists and talent involved.

5. Eugene Esterly

Eugene Esterly Supporting Actor

I also want to see Tales From The Crypt on DVD in season format. TFTC is one of my favorite horror TV shows.

6. Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Bjorn Olav Nyberg Supporting Actor

I would love to see more of these. There were plenty of VHS releases along the lines of the release David showed, at least over here, but something more complete would be wonderful.

As we all know, if released it would require some parental guidance, so we should all guide our parents out of here so we can have some fun. (Sorry had to include a cryptkeeper reference)

7. T r o y

T r o y Supporting Actor

Micheal,

Man, I thought I was the only one that loved this episode as my favorite. This one really creeps you out as you watch the haunting "live" newscast as Morton Jr. describes the house. REally creepy stuff. Of all the TFTC, this one creeped me out the most. I love it!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope HBO will soon announce their offering of this series! Should be cool.

8. Jon Robertson

If you liked that episode of Tales from the Crypt and you're R2/PAL capable, you'll love the BBC's infamous 1992 Halloween special Ghostwatch, which took that same idea a stage further and turned out one of the best British horror films ever made. In my opinion, it merrily wipes the floor with the likes of Blair Witch, Last Broadcast and other faux-reality horrors.

9. Thomas H G

Thomas H G Screenwriter

I'd pick up a set of this. I loved watching when this was on HBO. I think it used to be on right after Dream On.

10. Jason_Solack

Jason_Solack Extra

Jon, is Ghostwatch avalible on DVD? I'd love to check it out!

11. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

YEA, TFTC was one of my favorite shows when it was on and I always tried to catch it whenever possible.
    Id be interested in TFTC DVDs [​IMG]

12. Jon Robertson

Jason - yes it is, just click on that link.

13. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

Can someone tell me what the story and premise behind Ghostwatch. Please include spoilers. I don't have a region free player.

Thanks!

14. Jon Robertson

You could just click on the link I provided three posts ago.

15. Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff Cinematographer

I would love to have not only the HBO Series on DVD, but also the 1971 Amicus Film. The comics these shows are based on are absolutely amazing, some of the best writing and art ever to grace the four-color medium.