HBO's Game of Thrones (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by Mikah Cerucco

I've read elsewhere concerning the relationship with Dany/Drago that one difference is...

In the books, she wasn't quite the helpless little girl basically sold off into slavery, but was more an active participant in the arrangement.

I haven't read the books, so I couldn't say.

I've just finished book 1, and I guess I thought the take on her was pretty accurate (so far) I think it's about mid stream into the book where she goes from being the character who just kind of does "whatever" to something else. So, I'm fine with this so far..

And admittedly, she's the character I personally like most so far, just through Book 1. I seemingly can "get" her attitude. I mean, I understand that you are meant in some way to like Ned's chivalry but I almost slapped my head and said "what a bone head" when the King died.. wow, you'd think with what was going on around him he would have had Joffrey and the Queen's heads on spikes before daybreak... and the daughter of his, what a moron. Still, loved the first book.. for now, I'll root for her and her "Stallion to Ride the World" to come and dish some bitter vengence on people.. :) I'm eager to see how the heck they do moments like "the crowning" within a series, because I can't see how that could -ever- be put on film.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by Mikah Cerucco

I've read elsewhere concerning the relationship with Dany/Drago that one difference is...

In the books, she wasn't quite the helpless little girl basically sold off into slavery, but was more an active participant in the arrangement.

I haven't read the books, so I couldn't say.

Dany definitely was not an active participant in arranging the marriage in the books--her fears in the two episodes mirror the book. The only difference is:

that Dany enjoys her couplings with Drogo right away, including the wedding night. Yes, she feels pain, though eventually those cries of pain are mixed with cries of pleasure. Also, Drogo was a little but more "tender" if that's the appropriate word on the wedding night, hesitantly asking "no?" as though it were a question, as touched her. Eventually, Dany turned his "no" into "yes..."

A minor change, but changes the characters very little--it's not like Drogo was some blushing goofus in the books, as he still "took her" roughly until Dany made him "see the light" so-to-speak :)

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
In my recent research, I stumbled across a comment by somoen who said he'd read that Martin looking back, kind of regretted how their wedding night played out in the book, and what we see in the show is what he prefers and wishes he did for the book.

Dont know if its true, but thought Id pass that along.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by JonZ

In my recent research, I stumbled across a comment by somoen who said he'd read that Martin looking back, kind of regretted how their wedding night played out in the book, and what we see in the show is what he prefers and wishes he did for the book.

Dont know if its true, but thought Id pass that along.

So let me get this straight, he regrets NOT making it a rape in the first place? That's classic Martin.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I've barely even heard of Martin and have no knowledge beyond the two episodes aired, but it doesn't sound to me as flippant as that makes it sound. Less, "I wish I had had her raped" and more, "A pampered, virginal princess being forced into congress with a rough man probably would not enjoy it" until she accepts its the reality of her life and is taught to grab some control of the situation.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
As someone who has read all 4 books twice now, my personal take on Martin is that he's brutal to his characters, and at some level he enjoys being so. IMO, the statement fits his M.O. perfectly, that he regrets not being as rough on Dany as he could have been.

Just my opinion.

RickGr

Second Unit
Remember Dany is only 13 in the books and the coupling is a bit disturbing with that factored in.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Greg_S_H It's just my opinion. They're could be other people who have read the books who agree with you and not me. It's just my personal take on Martin as a writer. Actually, the way he treats his characters is why I like the series. Not because I like to see people abused, but simply because you have no idea what is going to happen next. Martin pulls no punches.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by Jim_C

It's just my personal take on Martin as a writer. Actually, the way he treats his characters is why I like the series. Not because I like to see people abused, but simply because you have no idea what is going to happen next. Martin pulls no punches.

I'm on my fifth read through of the series, and this also one of my reasons why I like the series: the characters' lives seem to actually reflect the Hobbesian existence that is life in Westeros and Essos.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Daeny reminded me a lot of Piper Perabo, but I looked up the actress (Emilia Clarke), who's much younger, of course, just to see if there was any family connection, but it doesn't appear so.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by joshEH

This needs to be combined with the "Slapping Joffrey" video, immediately.

Hah! That's actually a pretty good version, thanks for the link.

As for tonight's episode, there was a lot of new dialogue, including a few scenes that were 100% new. A few of the changes I wasn't a big fan of (for the first time since the show started), including

how Dany wasn't the one to take her brother's horse away. This was one of the major turning points in her character, with her finally acting as the Khaleesi, and exerting power over her brother.

I also wasn't a fan of the scene between Cersei and Joff--it made him look like his evil nature comes from his mother's guidance, which, while likely true to an extent, I preferred how in the books you got the feeling he is just a total dickwad in and of himself :)

However the rest of changes/episode were great. In many ways, the bleak situation at the Wall seems more apparent on screen than on paper. the establishing shots of "Castle" Black really showed how it is merely just a bunch of crumbling buildings.

Littlefinger was cast perfectly.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Caught up with the first two episodes the other night and very much enjoyed them. Reminded me less of the Lord of the Rings and more of something akin to a cross between Excalibur and Conan the Barbarian (the stories, not the movies). I never read the GoT books. I'd say the show is well cast though and thumbs up to HBO for the great production values.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Ned hearing the swords clanging as he watched Arya was a nice touch. I think this episode had stronger direction overall than the previous Van Patten-directed episodes.

I pictured Varys being more foppish and unctuous, but that's a nitpick. Joffrey and Viserys are fucking NAILING it, though. Just completely knocking their assholery out of the park.

And finally, loved Tyrion peeing off the Wall. It'd be cold, but oh-so-satisfying.

doug zdanivsky

Supporting Actor
Real Name
doug zdanivsky
Shame that the guy playing Littlefinger (Lord Baelish) is wooden and monotone (he was awesome in the Wire.. Damn)... That's going to suck when he gets more screen time later on..

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by joshEH

Ned hearing the swords clanging as he watched Arya was a nice touch. I think this episode had stronger direction overall than the previous Van Patten-directed episodes.

I pictured Varys being more foppish and unctuous, but that's a nitpick. Joffrey and Viserys are fucking NAILING it, though. Just completely knocking their assholery out of the park.

And finally, loved Tyrion peeing off the Wall. It'd be cold, but oh-so-satisfying.

I'd add Dinklage to the list of those nailing it. His Tyrion is exactly like I was hoping for. I laughed out loud when I saw him peeing off the Wall. BTW, I loved those shots looking down off the Wall through the clouds to the trees. Simple touch that really portrays the sense of height.

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
I'm loving this show. Just received the books from Amazon. At first I didnt want to read the books until after the first season ended but I couldnt hold out. The downside to not having read the books prior to the TV series is that I'm picturing the actors and not imagining what they look like from the author's description. No biggie though. Btw, don't know if anyone mentioned this but, Jamie Lannister reminds me of Prince Charming from the Shrek movies. Lol.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Speaking as someone who's read all the books, I can say I'd be quite content to just watch the series as a TV show. So far, I think it's about on par with the book in terms of being engaging. The show has done a really good job of streamlining the book, and generally comes up with elegant ways around what normally takes pages.

You can't go wrong with the show or the novels. But if you're planning on reading the books, I'd probably avoid overlapping, because then you'll just be paying attention to the differences, and not the story.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks