1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

HBO's Game of Thrones

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by mattCR, Apr 10, 2011.

1. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

Im almost done with SOS, but I think Im gonna wait to read FRC and will read that and Dragons back to back in July.

2. Vlad D

Vlad D Screenwriter

Vladimir Derenoncourt
    I so enjoyed this series I can't really express in words how much. I bought all four books at the start of the season, and I'm reading book one now. There is no way I can wait until next spring to find out what happens next. So my summer reading list is set.

BTW, did they already announce the DVD or Blu-Ray set?

3. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I think Amazon has a listing for it but no date yet. I'd be surprised if it was out much before the next season starts airing in March or so.

4. mattCR

mattCR Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt
    The thing I'm wondering is that despite the cast, GOT seemed to be a "cheap" series in a lot of ways, great look, but there were no big effect moments.. meanwhile, so far, the next two books are FULL of big, significant effects... I mean, I think of the march of troops, dreams.. and then you think of huge moments like

On what budget could you do something like the Shadow of the Red Woman killing Renelly? Or even bigger: Stannis fleet of "hundreds of ships" facing down wildfire that rages on the river...

5. Josh Dial

Josh Dial Producer

Josh Dial

While the second event is certainly going to be a challenge (Martin himself is writing that episode, and cursing "the author" for writing such a costly sequence), the first event is actually quite mundane, as far as effects go--at least in my opinion. Re-read the sequence: it's virtually all environmental and atmospheric; also, it's over in mere seconds.

In my mind, the pricey scenes are:

- The Battle of Blackwater Rush
    - The House of the Undying
    - The events in Skirling Pass (potentially)
    - The final Bran chapter, especially the MAJOR reveal that may or may not happen, depending on your reading of the first few pages (personally, I'm a believer)

In addition, the House of the Undying scene is arguably the most important of the book, so it can't really be cut for budget reasons, unless they choose to go a different way for the revelations.

6. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    Saw the finale last night and was impressed. Only 10 episodes to the season, but it was near perfect. I'd place it up there with the best seasons of The Sopranos, Mad Men and Battlestar Galactica.

Here's a bit on season 2 casting:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/06/23/game-of-thrones-casting/

BTW, I gather they are keeping "Game of Thrones" as the show title, even though that's only the title of Book 1.

7. StephenT

StephenT Stunt Coordinator

To what reveal are you referring? I don't have the book near me to reread, but I looked around the Internet at summaries of that chapter and nothing jumps out. I know a few of the big theories out there, and I don't remember a reference to any of them at the beginning of that chapter.

8. Philip Klein

Philip Klein Stunt Coordinator

The title of the book is A Game of Thrones

9. Josh Dial

Josh Dial Producer

Josh Dial

The strong (in my opinion) likelihood that there was a dragon under Winterfell--see specifically the POV of Summer in the first few pages of the final Bran chapter.

This also potentially ties into Melisandre's prophecy of waking the stone dragon, if, as many people on the internet figure, she is reading the fires wrong (which she admits is possible) and the prophecy has come to pass already.

Even if the prophecy isn't a direct fit, and does speak to another occurance, I think the proof is apparant regarding the dragon under Winterfell.

In my first read through, I didn't really catch it--or, of I did, I definitely forgot about it quickly. If it's true, there are some cool possibilities, including:

Bran being able to skinchange into the Winterfell dragon, becoming the second of the "two heads" in Rhaegar's prophecy/House of the Undying vision.

That, would be totally badass.

10. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

"In my first read through, I didn't really catch it--or, of I did, I definitely forgot about it quickly"

Its not that hard - theres so much going on in the books with POVs, backstory, many dozens of characters being named and very important occurances happening in a single sentence.

You really have to know who people are or you can get lost with characters dialogue rehashing history.

Thers alot of blink and you miss it stuff in these books and its easy to get lost.

I've gone back through a few chapters and reread key parts to help commit them to memory.

For instance here something I didnt catch until I went back and reread the end of a previous chapter once something in follwing was occuring...

That the direwolf who saved Jon from Styr was Summer/Bran

About the 2 spoilers above....

I've seen talk on this theory and it being a wolves interpretation, but Direwolves are extremely intelligent and can comprehend complex language. I dont think its just fire of smoke intrepeted by the wolf, but literally ... a dragon.

Mel and Stannis wanted Roberts son to sacrifice to bring a dragon to life, so there should be one somewhere in Westeros.

IMHO Bran was seeing the future. It doesnt have to mean be a Westeros dragon he saw. If the one in Westeros isnt awoken, it could also be Bran as the direwolf, seeing one of Danys dragons sometime in events to come.

edit: Then again, Brans "I want to fly" comments could be foreshadoing him inhabiting a dragon

As I said, blink and you'll miss it.

11. Josh Dial

Josh Dial Producer

Josh Dial

My interpretation was:

Bran, through Summer's eyes, was seeing the dragon after it broke through the old tower that hadn't been used in years (centuries?). If I recall, the description of the damage was that everything was just scorched and "melted," while that one tower was completely destroyed, as through something errupted through it.

Later, as the POV switches back to Bran as Bran, Osha comments that they were making enough noise to "wake a dragon." Sure, it's clearly a turn of phrase, but I'm sure Martin chose it carefully.

There was also a story told in a Tyrion POV (I forget which) about a previous king who went to the north with I think it was eight dragons. It's possible one was under Winterfell, heating the castle since.

Also, regarding Melisandre's vision in the flame and the prophecy requiring the sacrificed prince, it's possible it was satisfied by the actions of Theon on Bran and Rickon, or even Bolton's bastard on Theon. Actual death might not have been a "must."

At any rate, I'm convinced (as much as I can be at this point) that Bran is another of the "three heads." A skinchanger with a dragon would be sweet. I'm also wondering if the dance with dragons in the next book will be more literal that the historical event. In otherwords, three "sides" will each have a dragon force: Bran, Dany, and Dorne/Iron Isles/King's Landing (?).

Is it July 12th yet? :)

12. Greg.K

Greg.K Cinematographer

Greg K.
    It's killing me trying to avoid clicking on those spoilers. Back to the books!

13. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

Josh

In ASOS the last Sansa chapter, she mentions that Winterfell is kept warm indoors through piping that is connected to hot springs - and that indoor gardens are as warm as summertime.

As for the 3 heads, by he end of SOS Dany thinks its her, Barristan, and another - but I was thinking the 3 heads, were Dany, Jon and a possibly Bran.

As for the destuction at Winterfell, no one has made a comment about seeing a Dragon - it would take a full grown one to do that kind of damage anyway.

Do the Dragons in Martin world hibernate?

14. Josh Dial

Josh Dial Producer

Josh Dial
    Jon,

Yeah, a few characters comment on the "hot springs" thing--I think in one of the early Eddard chapters he likens it to blood flowing through the veins. I just think it would be interesting (and possible) that the heat source for the hot springs is dragon-esque.

Regarding the dragon at Winterfell, I don't recall the exact timeline, but when Bran is having his wolf dream, it seems to be after the Bolton Bastard and his men have departed for the Dreadfort (that's where he starts flaying Theon). Thus, Winterfell is "empty" except for Summer and everyone in the crypts. Nobody is around to see the Dragon as it errupts from the tower, save Summer--Bran doesn't realize what has happened.

I think you could be right regarding the three heads, though I think it would be cool if Dorne or the Iron Isles happen upon one (the ultimate Dornish sand snake!). Dany doesn't seem to have a firm grasp on her visions in the House of the Undying, so I don't exactly trust her interpretations--she's changed her mind a few times on the "3 betrayals" thing, for example.

15. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

True, it could have happened after the place was already deserted.

So many details, I can see why fans reread these books over and over again, as you need to, to absorb all the details.

I was gonna wait to start Crows, but think Im just gonna go out and get it. It takes me awhile to read these books anyway, usually taking a week to go through each book.

So the wait shouldnt be long for Dragons. Wish a paperback version was available on release date.

16. StephenT

StephenT Stunt Coordinator

Before I came back to this thread I reread the chapter and:

The only thing I figured you could have been talking about was the following, and I find I was right:

"The smoke and ash clouded his eyes, and in the sky he saw a great winged snake whose roar was a river of flame. He bared his teeth, but then the snake was gone." Next paragraph: "Howls shuddered through the night; the howls of the man-pack, wails of fear and wild shouts, laughter and screams. No beast was as noisy as man." Then it's the next morning that the castle is empty. So he sees the "dragon" before all the men have left. I like the idea, but I'm just not convinced. Also Bran can remember running down animals and smells and such, but he can't remember seeing a dragon! Seems fishy to me. However, if it's not a dragon what is that a description of? A cloud? The way the smoke looks is my guess. That's why it disappears quickly because it only looked that way for a second. If the smoke was in the shape of an upside down dragon the fire it was coming from could look like it was coming out of it's mouth. But the description is so specific. Maybe the Bastard of Bolton knows there's a dragon. It's not like we've seen him since to verify, or Theon for that matter.

Also:

We know from book 4 that Melisandre is wrong about Stannis if Aemon is right. He thinks it's Dany, but maybe it's Jon. I mean do you expect Dany to wield a sword?

And at first when Cersei was enacting her crazy plan to frame Margaery based on Maggy the Frog's prophecy, I thought Cersei you fool it's Dany not Margaery. However, now that it looks like it all backfired, I'm thinking that maybe it is Margaery and Cersei actually brought it about.

17. Josh Dial

Josh Dial Producer

Josh Dial
    Stephen/Jon, my spoiler is a well-known spoilering of who has a POV chapter in book 5. It's well-known because it was actually a sample chapter in a few editions of Feast:

Theon is one of the first chapters, posing as Reek, so we may get some resolution regarding the "dragon."

18. John_Lee

John_Lee Supporting Actor

Having recently read GoT, it was Catelyn who first referenced the springs, grateful for how it warms their bedroom to help her cope with her aversion to cold coming from more temperate climes.

19. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

Im reading Crows now, so everything guessedI above was without the knowledge of that book.

Back in a bit

20. mattCR

mattCR Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt
    I'm a bit more then 1/2 way through "Storm of Swords" Let me say, the holy cows definitely continue..

I had -NEVER- expected the scene at the Frey's wedding.. NEVER. Totally and completely stunned.