1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

HBO's Game of Thrones

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by mattCR, Apr 10, 2011.

1. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Lead Actor

The second book (which I just finished) opens right after the events of the first book (and series), so closure isn't really what they are going for in the books. I was reading the first book in tandem with the series but could not wait and finished the first book about 10 days ago and then moved onto A Clash of Kings.

BTW, the HBO presentation has been incredibly faithful to the first book of the series. There are a few changes, as others have mentioned, but I am struck by the series' fidelity to the source material.

- Walter.

2. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Obviously, it worked for him but Martin had some balls on him to just go for it rather than trying to make, at least, the first book a little more self-contained.

3. Charlie Campisi

Charlie Campisi Screenwriter

I like that format. The Wire used it in every season where the penultimate episode contained the climactic ending and the final episode was to sort through the aftermath and let the viewer know where the characters finished up one season and hint at where they might be heading. After Ned's death, I got pretty much what I was expecting in the finale and was very satisfied with it. I ordered the books while the closing credits were rolling. :)

4. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

I laughed as well when Varys delivered that line. I've really enjoyed the handful of conversations between him and Littlefinger.

In general I haven't been as happy with a book adaptation since Fellowship of the Ring. HBO has nailed this series, absolutely nailed it. It's going to be a long wait until next spring. At least we'll have the new book next month.

5. Josh Dial

Josh Dial Producer

Josh Dial

(Alternate Universe) Josh, a number of postings on other forums, by members who don't generally screw around with this sort of stuff, have posted that:

The actor credited as Jaqen was the same as the actor to player Syrio (Miltos Yeromelou). Did you happen to catch this? I have since deleted my recording (I'll snag it again on a re-airing), and cannot verify this myself. I wonder if this was a mistake, Martin having fun with fans of the books, or an attempt to be consistent with a revelation from a book that is only weeks away.

Of course, it could just be a false rumour.

6. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S

I agree, right down the number of spectacular episodes. Just an amazing achievement.

For some reason, the Pycelle is more than what he seems scene in the finale episode (with the prostitute) seemed to suggest that he may be a bigger player than we know, I wonder if he does something in the upcoming book that makes him as important as Littlefinger and Varys.

7. joshEH

joshEH Producer

Josh
    Quote:

Holy shit...for whatever reason, I never even caught that. Too fucking awesome. Even though I know the books, I was still somewhat pissed that the actor who played Syrio was now out of a job (at the time), so that's pretty damn cool, if true.

Also, I can't stand dragons, but that's largely due to the most aggravating person I've ever known being completely obsessed with them, and even I wasn't that irritated by the inclusion of them. I kind of like how the show keeps setting up these bigger, peripheral, threats while maintaining the majority of its focus on the backstabbing at King's Landing. I kind of like the whole, "wolves-at-the-door-while-the-house-guests-fight" feel to the whole thing.

Which isn't to say that I was ever opposed to dragons showing up in the story, either. Martin likes to play around with pre-conceived notions of fantasy. For instance, the Dwarves in his world aren't squat, tiny men who live underground and mine shit. The only "dwarf" in the story has serious daddy-issues, and is super clever and overly sexed-up.

The traditional "Hero's Journey" character gets beheaded because all his noble traits fail him right when they're needed, compared to his enemies. Rapists, murderers, and the scum of the kingdom end up being the heroes who are the first line of defense against the forces of darkness, as opposed to being their thralls.

So even if you're someone who "hates dragons" for some silly reason (like me), how do you know that the way dragons are used in this setting won't fuckin' blow your mind?

8. John_Lee

John_Lee Supporting Actor

I dunno [won't spoiler as 1. it's a nullification, and 2. the nullification, IMO, reveals nothing save the nullification]

But in my footage, actors aren't credited 'as' anything, just a list of actor names.

9. mike caronia

mike caronia Second Unit

Having not read the book...I took that scene with the old guy as the 'game' was going on at all times.

Being a feeble old man was even a ploy in front of a whore.

He doesn't want anyone giving him up, being so close to all the important people in the realm.

Great, great show. Loved everything about it.

The detail in the characters was amazing....as evidenced in the scene referenced above.

Now it's time to start turning pages instead of channels!!

10. Josh Dial

Josh Dial Producer

Josh Dial

I checked my new recording, and you are correct. Some people are saying it was on the IMDB page, and not the credits, but at this point, until I read book 5, I'm just going to call BS on the entire thing :P

11. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

The whore was Ros; the one who started out in Winterfell and is now employed by Littlefinger (remember the sexposition scene a few episodes ago). She's not any whore but probably a spy for LF.

12. Josh Dial

Josh Dial Producer

Josh Dial

Who now goes back and whispers in his ear about how Pycelle really is just a dottering old man who can scarcely remember the start of his own stories.

I thought the entire Pycelle scene--which is totally new and not in the books at all--was a highlight of the episode, from an intrigue point of view.

13. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

Josh, Lots of fans have quessed they are the same person for awhile now. I've seen it mentioned in discussions at imdb and I think SHH

14. Josh Dial

Josh Dial Producer

Josh Dial

Oh I'm definitely aware of the theory--I've been reading the series since the 90s. That's why I pointed out that some fans now claim to have definitive "proof" (in the IMDB cast listing). Personally, I'm not convinced, though it would be severely cool!

15. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

Just downloaded first book on ibooks. I don't think i'll read beyond it till next season, but we shall see.

16. mattCR

mattCR Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt
    I'm about partway into "Storm of Swords".. I had a feeling from the first book something was going one direction and BOY was I wrong.. but it is interesting..

17. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Lead Actor

I finished Book 2: A Clash of Kings a few nights back and am currently about 10% through Book 3: A Storm of Swords. The books are doing a great job of maintaining their momentum. I'd say more but I don't want to get into spoiler territory.

For those of you who watched the first season and are contemplating the books - they are an excellent read.

- Walter.

18. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

I've read the books. Care to share what you were expecting (in spoilers of course)?

19. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

Im finishing Swords myself. THe best of hte three so far IMHO.

SOS has been better about it, but I've found some of the chapter tedious (Mostly Bran and Sam)

Some great characters though and looking foward to seeing some of it play out in the series.

20. Josh Dial

Josh Dial Producer

Josh Dial

Those chapters, which I agree are slower than the rest, actually become really interesting the second time through. When you know what they are all building toward, and how everything is interacting, you get a lot more juicy detail out of them. The same goes for Clash, and, in my opinion, doubley-so for Feast. The second (and subsequent) readthroughs were even more enjoyable for me, which is pretty amazing when you consider how much I loved them the first time.