What's new

HBO's Game of Thrones: Season 3 (1 Viewer)

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Been a while since I read the books, but I don't remember Melisandre getting a hold of Gendry at this point? Not a radical change...but, Gendry will become more involved in the TV story as
he replaces the other bastard Melisandre takes away in the book...who I believe is rescued by Davos. But, wasn't that bastard a child?

Looking at episode titles, I think a whole lot is going to happen in the next four episodes...

I figure the big events next week are the rescue of Brienne and the conquering of Yunkai. The following week is supposed to give us the Kings Landing wedding...but, I think they are messing with the timing of the books, so Joffrey won't die yet. Penultimate episode will be the Red Wedding, and the final episode should be Joffrey's death.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Well that's persuaded me to avoid the episode titles as I don't know where this is going yet.

Another great episode. Over the halfway mark now and have enjoyed every one so far. Im anticipating the inevitable shit to hit the fan (not in a bad way - I think it is building up nicely) and to be honest, I find all the characters enjoyable at present that I'm a bit worried who is going to get killed next. I'd even miss Joffrey as he is just a great character to hate. The only one Im not really that invested in is Theon and somehow I think he will live through it.

Great ending too, Up to now Littlefinger has been played with great balance to suggest that he may have some good in him, but I think this marks a point where he is shown as one truly evil bastard. And after complaining about Snow's storyline last week, it seems they heard me :) So now we need some progress on Bran's story and I really hope they don't drag out the Theon mystery for too long.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Oh...I almost forgot...where do whores go?

Sorry to see Ros get the short end of that demented, sadistic crossbow.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Quentin said:
Looking at episode titles, I think a whole lot is going to happen in the next four episodes...
Major Book 3 spoilers in response to Quentin:

The Red Wedding will be the penultimate episode, and, again based on episode titles, Yunkai ought to either be most of the final episode, or at least the final sequence (the people shouting "Mother!").I suspect the episode "Second Sons" will feature the Tyrion/Sansa wedding, and we'll have to wait until next season for the Joffrey/Margaery wedding. Part of the delight of the wedding feast is Joffrey's excitement over the retails of the Red Wedding--I doubt the show will ignore that, since I image fans everywhere will be high fiving each other by the end of the scene.

Edit:

Good idea, Simon. This is a good time to avoid all spoilers, including episode titles.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Yes some significant book deviations in this episode. I've only read the first three books so I look forward with interest to reading the 4th book after the series is done with the third one.

The two shots showing both sides of the Wall were wonderful.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
Simon Massey said:
Great ending too, Up to now Littlefinger has been played with great balance to suggest that he may have some good in him, but I think this marks a point where he is shown as one truly evil bastard.
I felt I knew what I needed to know about Littlefinger's character after the whole Ned ordeal. Still, seldom are people ALL good or ALL bad, especially in the world of GoT. One of the things that initially attracted me to the story is GRRM's resistance to forming standard "good" and "bad" characters. And even if we think we have good and bad characters, bad things happen to "good" people, and good things happen to "bad" people. I find this fantasy creation more like real life in that way.

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention."

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Simon Massey said:
Another great episode. Over the halfway mark now and have enjoyed every one so far.
Me too. I never feel like the show is treading water, even with the little scenes like Bran, Jojen and Meera in the forest have a purpose.
Quentin said:
Sorry to see Ros get the short end of that demented, sadistic crossbow.
Yet another "someone needs to disembowel Joffrey with a red-hot poker" moment.
Lou Sytsma said:
The two shots showing both sides of the Wall were wonderful.
Absolutely stunning. The whole climbing-the-wall sequence was astounding television. This show does a really good job of not only having lots of spectacle, but providing the breathing room for the characters (and through them, the audience) to appreciate that spectacle.
Mikah Cerucco said:
I felt I knew what I needed to know about Littlefinger's character after the whole Ned ordeal. Still, seldom are people ALL good or ALL bad, especially in the world of GoT. One of the things that initially attracted me to the story is GRRM's resistance to forming standard "good" and "bad" characters. And even if we think we have good and bad characters, bad things happen to "good" people, and good things happen to "bad" people. I find this fantasy creation more like real life in that way.
With Ned Stark, though, we could blame Littlefinger's jealosy, and acknowledge that Stark had dug himself into such a deep hole that there was little to be gained and much to be lost by Littlefinger or Varys stepping in to aid him.Here the whole contrasting purposes of the two schemers is laid bare: Littlefinger operates for selfish ends, aiming to keep things as chaotic as possible as long as he can keep one step ahead. Varys schemes for essentially selfless ends, using his influence to manipulate events towards the most stable, least destructive outcome. That difference, for me at least, leaves me rooting for Varys and against Littlefinger.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I haven't read the books, but I'm not one to count Varys out, especially after seeing the results of his very patient revenge a few episodes back.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Sam Favate said:
I haven't read the books, but I'm not one to count Varys out, especially after seeing the results of his very patient revenge a few episodes back.
There's no question that he's just as dangerous and lethal as Littlefinger. He just seems to use his power toward better ends.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
I think Varys is actually more ambitious than Baelish, as his schemes are beyond Westeros. It will be interesting to see how he develops as a character in the sixth book and upcoming TV seasons. Sent from my Android phone on the HTF App!

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
Adam Lenhardt said:
There's no question that he's just as dangerous and lethal as Littlefinger. He just seems to use his power toward better ends.
I'd modify your choice of words to say that Varys uses his power toward more noble motives. The ends that result may be just as ugly as Baelish's, but his "anything in service of the realm" carries some admirable justification with it versus Petyr's goal of self-advancement.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Charlie Campisi said:
I'd modify your choice of words to say that Varys uses his power toward more noble motives. The ends that result may be just as ugly as Baelish's, but his "anything in service of the realm" carries some admirable justification with it versus Petyr's goal of self-advancement.
Very good point, well-stated. After all, Ned had the most noble of motives, and his decisions have left a lot of death, destruction and horror in his wake.

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
Adam Lenhardt said:
Very good point, well-stated. After all, Ned had the most noble of motives, and his decisions have left a lot of death, destruction and horror in his wake.
The road to hell is paved with good inentions.

Varys is my favorite character right after Tyrion (and who doesn't like Bron).

Conleth HIll is really knocking it out of the park!

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
MikeyWeitz said:
The road to hell is paved with good inentions.

Varys is my favorite character right after Tyrion (and who doesn't like Bron).

Conleth HIll is really knocking it out of the park!
Agreed, but I'm gonna give Jaime a shout out. I never bought into his change from child killing incestuous asshole to noble/honorable guy in the books. It was just too hard after what he had done. But, Coster-Waldau has really brought it. He's slowly turning me into a Jaime fan.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Jaime is my all-time favourite character from the books; his chapters in Book 3 completely sold me (and proved that Martin is a master of character development). I'm glad to see his portrayal in the show is similarly great. Though, unlike Quentin, I would argue that Jaime is even more likeable in the books, owing especially to his internal dialogue. The Book 3 chapter at the Inn of the Kneeling Man has some great stuff in it.

Coster-Waldau and Gwendoline Christie are perfectly executing the back-and-forth of Jaime and Brienne.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Josh Dial said:
Jaime is my all-time favourite character from the books; his chapters in Book 3 completely sold me (and proved that Martin is a master of character development). I'm glad to see his portrayal in the show is similarly great. Though, unlike Quentin, I would argue that Jaime is even more likeable in the books, owing especially to his internal dialogue.
It was a very poignant moment for me in Book 3 when Jaime shares something with Tyrion about a certain incident in their past. Very strong emotions between brothers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks